Niamh?

(28 Posts)
elvislives2012 Thu 19-May-16 20:32:24

My husband's family are Irish, I'm not. We live in England. Currently expecting a girl. What are thoughts on Niamh? Love the sound of it (prod Nee-ve) just not sure if we'd be setting her up for a lifetime of irritation?

insancerre Thu 19-May-16 20:35:05

I like it
I know 2, one is 18 and one is 4

katiegg Thu 19-May-16 20:43:14

Love it! But I'm Irish and the spelling and pronunciation are almost second nature to me.

I may be wrong, but I think it's a fairly popular name in England - not completely unheard of and so a lot of people will at least be vaguely familiar with it. Also, it's a short name so even if you/she has to spell it for someone, it's not going to cause too much confusion smile

Congratulations!

villainousbroodmare Thu 19-May-16 20:47:34

Lovely. I think it's reasonably well known. Especially suits a fair or blonde child (Niamh Cinn Óir of legend).

WhenTheDragonsCame Thu 19-May-16 20:52:39

I have a Niamh. She does some times get it pronounced Ne-am but I just correct them without issue. She did tell me once that it was spelt wrong and should be Neve but she has gotten over that now grin

FortyFacedFuckers Thu 19-May-16 20:57:04

I love the name and it's quite popular here in Scotland so I very much doubt many people would find it difficult to pronounce/spell.

GreenBeans17 Thu 19-May-16 20:59:30

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

mummywithtwokidsplusdog Thu 19-May-16 21:03:38

I have a Niamh - we chose it not realising it was popular here (glasgow) but am now glad it's quite well known as most people have heard of it before and therefore pronounce and spell it correctly. Love itsmile

Girlwithnotattoos Thu 19-May-16 21:04:15

Very popular name, 2 in ds's primary school class, at least 7 in the school. Lovely name as long as you spell it the proper way ie Niamh not Neve which is just plain wrong.

elvislives2012 Thu 19-May-16 21:18:51

That all sounds positive. I don't mind if it's popular-so long as it's not TOO popular ;) just having a wobble about it!

AuntJane Thu 19-May-16 21:35:15

Even if you don't give her a nn, classmates will. Nim? Nevey? It's going to be a little odd, whatever.

nectarini1983 Thu 19-May-16 21:39:06

I like this name but the correct spelling always flumoxs me! I know a Riamh (Reve) too which I also think is nice.

wigglesrock Thu 19-May-16 21:39:55

I think you should be ok, I'm in NI but have lots of family in England. There's quite a few Niamhs in my extended family over there. To be honest I find it quite old fashioned and a bit dated, a touch of the Joanne/Nichola about it.

MrsRolly Thu 19-May-16 21:40:18

I have one, she loves being the only one in her school (infant and junior) so not so popular here! Interesting spellings sometimes but she has never minded, pronunciation has never been an issue.
Nickname wise she went through a phase of enjoying being called Nee but mostly it's not shortened by anyone. Obviously biased but we love it, I wish I was finding it as easy to choose a name for impending arrival of DS in a few weeks time. grin

NannawifeofBaldr Thu 19-May-16 21:45:48

It's a lovely name and well known enough not to be an issue, after all Niamh Cusack is pretty well known.

Violethenry Thu 19-May-16 23:12:59

I prefer Neve personally as I have heard it pronounced neam the other way but it has since become more popular so may not be the case anymore smile

MatthewWrightResearch Thu 19-May-16 23:20:02

I have a Niamh, I love it. When she was born my family tried to make me change the spelling hmm.

BikeRunSki Thu 19-May-16 23:27:35

I am English and live

BikeRunSki Fri 20-May-16 05:44:42

Posted too soon!
Live in Yorkshire and know a rew Niamhs aged about 10 to 4 months old. I think the spelling is fairly widely recognised, even if not understood!

havalina1 Fri 20-May-16 06:23:38

Niamh is lovely, and it's always Niamh, never Neve!

As a nickname / endearment people will say Niamhy, (as in rhymes with weavy). My 38yr old friends mum calls her this smile

It is a bit old fashioned here (in Ireland) here but still very nice.

Have you considered Aine?

IoraRua Fri 20-May-16 20:52:41

Niamh is lovely, and spell it properly please - no Neevs or Niavs! I do think it's a bit dated in Ireland but that doesn't apply for you.

Not quite sure what Jane's point is - surely any name can be nicknamed? And a lot of em are weird or completely unrelated to the name.

IoraRua Fri 20-May-16 20:54:02

Also, if Niamh is dated, Aine most definitely is. Nice name though.

Aoife, Siuin, Cara, Fiadh would be trendy enough.

mammmamia Fri 20-May-16 21:00:18

I don't know any but I do know two Neve's

Notso Fri 20-May-16 21:10:52

It's really popular round here. In DS1's year at primary there was a Niamh, two Neve's and a Neave.
DS3 has just started and has a Niamh in his class.

Nham123 Fri 20-May-16 23:55:43

I think it's a beautiful name and as others have said its popular enough for people to know the pronounciaton. Has to be spelt Niamh though, not Neve!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now