Thelma?!

(44 Posts)
Red237 Tue 17-May-16 11:01:22

So I'm now 37 weeks and DP has been floating Thelma about since 23weeks, it was his Grandmas name and it's the only girls name he likes! I personally think it's an old lady name, I'm all for old names coming back but this one I just can't bring myself to use!! Am I being unreasonable? Everyone I mention it to makes a funny face and sort of tilts their head at me as if to say really?? Opinions please X

Miloarmadillo1 Tue 17-May-16 11:23:00

The only Thelma I know would qualify as an old lady, but I think it could be a cool name too. Thelma and Louise? Was there a Thelma in Scooby Doo or was that Velma?

Red237 Tue 17-May-16 11:26:20

There was a Thelma in as Scooby Doo I think! And I'm not a soap fan but is there one in Coronation st or Emerdale or am I imagining it? I'm just not sold on it!

coughingbean Tue 17-May-16 11:38:58

It was Velma is scoobydoo
<not helpfull>

coughingbean Tue 17-May-16 11:39:24

IN scooby doo, velma is not a dog!

ABitAsleep Tue 17-May-16 11:40:16

Old lady name, sorry confused

The only Thelma i know of isThelma and Louise.

I've never watched soaps, but i just had a quick google and apparently Thelma was a male character's drag act in Emmerdale blush

The Scooby Doo character was Velma.

CremeEggThief Tue 17-May-16 11:43:01

There was a Thelma in the year below me in school, but I'm 38. I would consider it as a middle name, but that's it.

MangosteenSoda Tue 17-May-16 11:45:13

That's really the only girls' name he likes out of all of the names in the world!?

He needs to try harder.

TheNaze73 Tue 17-May-16 11:49:56

I personally like it. It'll be unique as well I'd think. Makes a nice change from the Ava, Amelia & Poppy that'll be 10 per school class in 5 years

ApocalypseSlough Tue 17-May-16 11:50:32

It's actually very pretty and has a nice meaning.
But I'm a bit hmm that there's only one name in the world he likes! What's his boys choice and what will he do if you have another child? wink

ApocalypseSlough Tue 17-May-16 11:53:04

Here are 42 names ending in lma shock

Ludways Tue 17-May-16 11:56:50

I quite like it but I agree that he must like others, he simply hasn't looked or refuses to consider anything else.

DaisyFranceLynch Tue 17-May-16 12:18:36

I quite like it in a vintage chic way, but if you don't then you shouldn't have to use it.

Thea is less old ladyish if you wanted something similar - Thora another old fashioned name but I have seen it mentioned on here so think it may be coming back. That said, if it's his grandmother's name it is presumably the sentimental connection rather than the sound that matters. Could you use it as a middle name?

LunaLoveg00d Tue 17-May-16 12:21:34

It's a perfectly sensible name and "old lady" names like Ruby, Enid, Nellie or Edith are very popular.

Thelma is WAY better than a misspelled, trendy and yoo-neek name with random apostrophes and which makes everyone pull a WTF expression.

Only1scoop Tue 17-May-16 12:24:14

Quite like it

HouseOfBiscuits Tue 17-May-16 12:36:54

I don't like it.

Did your DP's grandmother have a middle name, or does he like any other names from the family tree?

CoodleMoodle Tue 17-May-16 12:37:13

My DM is Thelma (she's 61 if that makes any difference to you!). It's a nice enough name, but she does get 'Velma' quite a bit, which does annoy her.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Tue 17-May-16 12:45:38

. It's okay as MN to honour is DGM, but not as a first name. It's awful. The fact that it's an old lady name is not the issue. Plenty of old lady names are all the range and have made a very big come back, but Thelma is harsh sounding.
I agree with Mango. Surely with all the beautiful names In the world he can try to see further than Thelma.

BoboBunnyH0p Tue 17-May-16 12:53:07

Not my cup of tea, but it's not totally awful, however can't even think of a nice nn that could be used. Agree use it as a middle name.

HouseOfBiscuits Tue 17-May-16 13:15:23

Could you take out two letters and use Thea?

FutureGadgetsLab Tue 17-May-16 13:18:52

I hate it. Sorry.

Red237 Tue 17-May-16 13:26:46

His only other offering is Freya, I do quite like this but DS has a book about a sheep herder called Freya and she would forever be Freya the sheep herder in my head! Can't be a middle name as wanted my dear late mums middle name which is unfortunately Jean! So think we need to keep the first name as un old ladyish as possible!! I do like Thea though👍🏻 I think we'll just have to see what she's like when she arrives!

Rosaaa Tue 17-May-16 13:31:30

I quite like it but if you don't, then maybe it's not a name you should use.

MangosteenSoda Tue 17-May-16 13:33:51

There's a lot of MN love for Jean!

Actually, Thea Jean is a nice combo.

nectarini1983 Tue 17-May-16 14:00:44

Not sure, have heard much worse in the 'old lady' department...One concern, would people always be saying '...and Louise'? (Maybe not her peers but certainly her friends parents?!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now