Erina

(37 Posts)
Bringmewineandcake Mon 09-May-16 17:36:58

Expecting DD2 in 6 weeks all being well. I've only heard of one other person called Erina before and thought it was really pretty. Does anyone else have one or know of one? Any issues with the spelling / pronunciation? I don't really want to change the spelling to make it more obvious, but at the same time I don't want to saddle the kid with a lifetime of correcting people.

MonsterINTHECupboard Mon 09-May-16 17:49:09

I used to know a Nerina. Very interesting name. She was always the only one!

MyNewBearTotoro Mon 09-May-16 17:57:01

I've never heard it before and wouldn't be sure whether to pronounce it Eh-rin-uh or eh-reen-uh.

I like the first pronunciation (so to sort of rhyme with Helena) but not as keen the second. I think to people who don't know the name it is possible they won't immediately know how to pronounce it but once they've been told I can't imagine it will hold any great problems in terms of spelling/ pronounciation (unless of course I'm way off with my guesses and actually it's said in a way you couldn't guess from the spelling?).

butteredmuffin Mon 09-May-16 18:11:00

I've heard of Irina, but not Erina.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Mon 09-May-16 18:15:36

Is it pronounced
E-rin-a.
E-ree-na
E-ray-na

MissManagement Mon 09-May-16 18:27:42

It's pronounced Er-eena. I know one irl.

(I don't understand the confusion. Nobody would ask if 'Nina' was pronounced 'ninn-a' or 'nay-na' would they! confused )

Lovely name, OP.

Winterbiscuit Mon 09-May-16 19:10:46

I think it's a nice name, though I haven't heard it before. Prettier than Erin I think.

I do agree with posters above about pronounciation though. Some people might think the Er is pronounced Ur, as in Ernest.

Bringmewineandcake Mon 09-May-16 19:49:09

See, there's the thing. It's pronounced "Erin - uh" like mynewbear said but from the number of different ways people have replied then clearly it would be an issue smile

mrsschu Mon 09-May-16 20:00:35

I would pronounce it like Irina, I'm not sure from the posts if you're pronouncing it similar to that or Erin-a.

Sophronia Mon 09-May-16 20:19:59

I prefer Irina

Zhabr Mon 09-May-16 20:39:25

I know Irina and Arina.

Glitterspy Mon 09-May-16 20:49:19

I prefer Erin, but if you like it that's what's important.

villainousbroodmare Mon 09-May-16 23:03:20

I'd rather Erin. I would foresee pronunciation issues.

HappyHeart87 Mon 09-May-16 23:21:05

I knew an Irena. No contact from her for a few years and then she emailed asking for help to fund a PhD into Chinese Shadow Puppetry.

saffronwblue Mon 09-May-16 23:22:41

I know one - she is a former radio presenter.

ABitAsleep Tue 10-May-16 09:25:48

Never heard of it before, but would have pronounced it Eh-ree-nah.

I love Erin as it is, and Serena is similar, although slightly more usual?

Jessbow Tue 10-May-16 11:24:12

Sounds eastern European to me.

MitzyLeFrouf Tue 10-May-16 11:29:06

I don't understand the confusion. Nobody would ask if 'Nina' was pronounced 'ninn-a' or 'nay-na' would they!

Well I understand the confusion. It looks like Erin so it might possibly pronounced erin-a but I've never come across the name before so I'd then wonder if it's maybe pronounced eh-ree-na like Irina.

MitzyLeFrouf Tue 10-May-16 11:29:50

Serena is much nicer.

Flopsyhopsy Tue 10-May-16 14:30:13

I think it is pretty obvious that it is pronounced E-ree-na. Nobody asks about Serena, Carina so why is Erina different?

It's a pretty name imo.

MitzyLeFrouf Tue 10-May-16 14:32:30

Obvious to you perhaps.

MyNewBearTotoro Tue 10-May-16 14:42:46

Pretty obvious it's pronounced Er-ee-na ... apart from OP has said it is pronounced Erin-a.

So obvious as it may seem it's not pronounced that way at all! Or at least not in all cases.

Bringmewineandcake Tue 10-May-16 14:59:51

He he! I wish I'd asked the one I met how she spelled it. The way I spelled it above is all I could find on google, it's not a very common name (perhaps for good reason...) I definitely prefer the short vowel sound in the middle rather than Eh-ree-na so I think it'll have to be a no. Back to the drawing board! Thanks everyone.

butteredmuffin Tue 10-May-16 19:27:48

How do you feel about Erica?

Burgatroyd Tue 10-May-16 21:08:37

Sounds like arena

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now