Girls baby name

(23 Posts)
Katieb1984 Sun 08-May-16 07:56:27

I'm Catholic and having my first baby girl in May after having 3 boys. I would like a name that has a special meaning and have narrowed it down to 2. I would like opinions on which everyone prefers as my husband has said I can make the final choice. I definitely want Grace as a middle name. It's a choice between Ava or Lily as the first name.

I picked Ava as baby is due on feast day of bl Eva of Liege although I prefer the pronounciation of Ava not Eva.

I picked Lily as the lily is the birth flower for May and baby is due 2 days after our 2nd wedding anniversary. The lily flower is given to your partner on your 2nd wedding anniversary as well apparently. The lily is also associated with the Virgin Mary.

Any opinions on which I should pick? Lily Grace or Ava Grace or Lily Ava Grace or Ava Lily Grace.

My 3 boys are Jake, Ethan and Oliver.

NapQueen Sun 08-May-16 07:57:33

I'd go for Ava Lily and skip Grace but as you want it in there I'd go for Ava Lily Grace.

errorofjudgement Sun 08-May-16 08:06:16

I like Lily Grace, or Grace Lily.

Ava Grace sounds a bit like 2 prayers getting muddled up, Ave Maria & Amazing Grace iyswim (fellow catholic here)

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 08-May-16 08:11:03

Lily Grace

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 08-May-16 08:12:27

Is oliver Ollie? I think Ollie and Lily is a bit of a mouthful.

Although I much prefer Lily to Ava.

Katieb1984 Sun 08-May-16 08:18:37

I can see what what your saying. We chose amazing grace as our hymn for our wedding grin. I would have liked a name with some relevance to Mary but not keen on Mary, Maria etc.

Katieb1984 Sun 08-May-16 08:22:25

Oliver is Ollie to family. If he wasn't Oliver I would have had Olivia for baby but I can't have Oliver and Olivia confused. I think Grace goes well after Oliver but then I was stuck with a middle name. If it helps the surname is Bainbridge so it also has to sound right with that.

GruffaloPants Sun 08-May-16 08:24:53

Ollie and Lily are a bit of a mouthful together. Ava is nice.

NapQueen Sun 08-May-16 08:25:38

Grace Mary/Marianne Bainbridge.

errorofjudgement Sun 08-May-16 08:35:58

Grace Marianne is lovely

Sophronia Sun 08-May-16 10:35:23

I think Lily Bainbridge sounds better than Ava Bainbridge.

Some names related to Mary that you might like...

Miriam
Mariana
Mara
Marina
Marianne
Mariella
Marietta

1horatio Sun 08-May-16 10:42:32

Lily Grace is lovely! Lily Ava Grace is also cute.

I don't think Lily and Ollie are a mouthful. Lily, Ethan, Jake and Ollie sounds perfectly fine smile

Katieb1984 Sun 08-May-16 10:45:48

I like lily but someone I work with said lily Bainbridge sounded like a little elderly woman. Does anyone think that when you hear it? I want her to have a name that she can take through life. My eldest is Jake but officially Jacob. When he's older he may prefer to go by Jacob so has that option but we like Jake whilst he's still young. He goes to catholic all boys secondary and the other boys laughed when they saw his official name was Jacob blush.

1horatio Sun 08-May-16 11:05:09

Lily is imo definitely a name she can take through life. So yes, Lily B. could be an elderly lady.
But she could also be a little girl, a teen, a mum....

It's a lovely name, prett but not too frilly.

Winterbiscuit Sun 08-May-16 11:33:06

Lily is my favourite but Ava is also a lovely name and works best with your surname IMHO.

cocochanel21 Sun 08-May-16 11:35:24

Got to be Ava for me.

I've got onegrin.

butteredmuffin Sun 08-May-16 14:37:42

I would have liked a name with some relevance to Mary but not keen on Mary, Maria etc.

Marie?

Ava Marie is very pretty but sounds a lot like Ave Maria so possibly a bit too much. Lily Marie or Grace Marie would both work well though.

manicinsomniac Sun 08-May-16 18:01:01

I like Ava Grace the best. Very pretty.

Bellalilysmith123 Mon 09-May-16 04:54:57

Lily Grace is so pretty.

mrsschu Mon 09-May-16 07:15:27

I like both but love Lily. I love that it reminds some people of a little old lady! Growing up in Ireland I knew a couple of old ladies called Lily and it works so well for an older person (and for a child, teenager etc). Lily Ava Grace would get my vote.

ABitAsleep Mon 09-May-16 13:45:24

I prefer Lily over Ava, and i think Lily would be suitable for a baby, teenager or adult. There are a lof a baby Lily's i know so it is definitely not just an old lady name.

As for Mary names, you could have - Marielle, Mariella, Mariette, Marietta, Marianne, Marianna, Marlie, Mara, Martha

TeradelFuego Mon 09-May-16 17:13:59

They laughed when they saw his name was really Jacob? Isn't it a very popular name anyway? Weird boys ............

StephoooH Mon 09-May-16 19:46:43

Lily

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now