Boys name?

(7 Posts)
JinCa Fri 06-May-16 07:22:35

Oscar? Is it too over-used in the UK now?What do you think of it?

IslaSinga Fri 06-May-16 07:23:33

Lovely. I only know one.

ShowOfHands Fri 06-May-16 07:40:24

It's a perfectly acceptable name and realistically, popularity shouldn't matter. However, if it seems to bother you then, yes, its perception might be a little different due to overuse. 15 years ago I might have thought "lovely, you don't hear that much". Now it feels a bit more "well yes of course you've picked Oscar, lots of people do".

If you love it use it. DS has two in his class, DD has one.

mrsschu Fri 06-May-16 08:26:04

It's pretty popular but I still like it. My only concern would be that until about 5 years ago there weren't many babies called Oscar and now there are lots so I do think in the future it will be a very 2011/12/13... name if you see what I mean. Which is a bit weird to say as it's a very old name, it's just that it has had such a sudden rise in popularity. In saying that I have a typical 80's name and it's always worked fine for me smile.

Flopsyhopsy Fri 06-May-16 14:21:52

As others have said, it has become very 'fashionable' and will eventually start to sound dated. Personally I find it a little dull and would choose a more timeless classic name. Have a look at the ONS lists of names outside the top 100 or even top 250 - lots and lots of gorgeous names to choose from.

Winterbiscuit Fri 06-May-16 14:45:42

I'm not keen TBH.

JinCa Fri 06-May-16 19:55:34

As I thought, thanks. I'm not desperate for an unusual name, but so many boys names now create a reaction of blah/white noise when I hear them, just through over use. I like Oscar but I think it's one of those names!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now