Can I have a Charles James and a James Charles?

(21 Posts)
QuickQuestion123 Thu 05-May-16 14:07:42

I was using my children's names in the title (Charles and James) they're middle names aren't each other's names, but my friend recently had a little girl and named her the same name as her sister, but switched around... Think:

Charlotte Rose & Rose Charlotte...

She said that they regretted using Rose for Charlotte's middle name? Not the real names, btw.

Is this something which is rather odd, or am I overthinking? I don't mind, of course! I think it's sweet, especially as no one really knows their middle names, so is it better than having a Molly and a Milly, for example? Just curious!

PhylumChordata Thu 05-May-16 14:10:36

No.

SerenityReynolds Thu 05-May-16 14:13:36

I think it's OK to use DD1's middle name for DC2 if you regretted not using it first time. But each having the exact same names, just reversed is a bit odd.

FutureGadgetsLab Thu 05-May-16 14:17:45

I know three girls called Emma Anna, Anna Lisa and Lisa Emma. I wouldn't do it.

Those aren't their real names, they have very unique names so I have changed them.

idontlikealdi Thu 05-May-16 14:17:55

No.

TickleMyTeacakes Thu 05-May-16 14:24:20

Er, no.

Obviously.

scandichick Thu 05-May-16 14:26:35

No. Surely there are more than two names in the whole world that they don't think are atrocious? If I was their child I'd be pissed off.

GoldPlatedBacon Thu 05-May-16 14:39:17

I can understand if it was something like Charlotte Rose and, say, Rose Helena

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 05-May-16 15:26:08

That is beyond odd.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Thu 05-May-16 16:27:07

Oh come on. There are other names out there other than Charles and James.

1horatio Thu 05-May-16 18:10:20

Reusing a middle name is ok. So something like Rose Charlotte and Charlotte Grace isn't bad.
But children need their own name, so using the same names twice is something I'd never do.

PotteringAlong Thu 05-May-16 18:11:32

I know a Louise Charlotte and a Charlotte Louise. I always think it shows a distinct lack of imagination.

julfin Thu 05-May-16 21:18:24

As a couple of other people have said, it's ok to reuse a middle name if you really love it. But not to just switch both names around!

wobblywonderwoman Thu 05-May-16 21:20:07

I thought it was bad luck to reuse a name but even if not.. it's bizarre and very odd

Helmetbymidnight Thu 05-May-16 21:24:11

I could understand it if there were only two names in the world.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Fri 06-May-16 07:10:33

It used to be a popular thing for twins.
But seems a bit daft...

I have seen more of putting the elder sibling name as a middle name than the other way round. Especially if the elder child died or got taken in to care.

Eg James Thomas being big brother to William James.

EarthboundMisfit Fri 06-May-16 07:11:43

I think it's odd.

P1nkP0ppy Fri 06-May-16 07:14:01

Very weird.
Shows very limited imagination imo. 😳

FatimaLovesBread Fri 06-May-16 09:22:46

Could they both have come up with something that Rose could be short for? Like Rosaline?

At a push I'd say reusing middle name was OK but both names reversed hmm

septembersunshine Fri 06-May-16 13:10:37

I know someone that did this. They loved their daughters middle name so much they used it for the next daughter but then they gave that daughter a different middle name. If you must do this I think give the second child a different second name! Otherwise.. no, just a bit weird.

workingmum318 Fri 06-May-16 14:35:47

Out of millions of names our there, surely it's not too difficult to find different names for two kids? If there's a favourite name you're thinking of re-using, I suggest give it a bit of a spin eg. Emily become Amelie or Amelia, Nicole becomes Nicola/Nicolette etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now