Name for Lotte's sister: Mathilde/Grace/Leni

(12 Posts)
flipside1 Mon 02-May-16 02:44:04

Hello mums! (and dads)
The time is nigh and we need a name!
Our half German daughter (made in Germany) is Lotte. (almost Mathilda). Love your thoughts on no.2! There are little probs with all...
We have:

Leni (hubby likes it, too similar to Lotte?)
Grace (too common now? Love the meaning as she's been a sweet bub)
Mathilde - this bub (made in France) could do well to have a French name!
Adelie - a family name
Hilde -just cute.

We'd love something not vanilla, but not so 'out there', she can't use it as CEO (if she wants). And this bub has to arrive with a name... to avoid any confusion!! Can't wait to read ideas, thanks!

marmitecrumpets Mon 02-May-16 04:09:03

Definitely Leni!
Lotte and Leni sound adorable together

Sophronia Mon 02-May-16 05:24:40

Hilde

DontKillMyVibe Mon 02-May-16 08:58:52

Hilde or Adelie

manicinsomniac Mon 02-May-16 10:21:54

I think Leni sounds cute with Lotte. I think I'd want it as a nickname though - Adeline? Adelina? Helene? Helena? Lenora? Leonie?

I love Grace and don't think it's overly common for a first name.

Mathilde. I'm not sure about. I really love Mathilda but just not sure about it without the a ending for some reason.

Adelie - never heard it before but it's really sweet, I like it

Hilde - is this pronounced the same as Hilda? Or is it Hild? Or Hild-ee? Don't like any of them really, tbh.

How about Lotte and:

Astrid, Ada, April, Avril, Anais, Alexis, Ariana, Adriana, Allegra, Aria, Alayna, Alannah, Bronte, Belle, Bianca, Claire, Clarice, Celest, Cecile, Cecilia, Cecily, Claudia, Claudine, Cassandra, Coco, Cleo, Delphine, Daphne, Desiree, Demi, Elodie, Eloise, Erica, Elianne, Elina, Elise, Felicia, Florence, Giselle, Gabrielle, Genevieve, Honor, Heidi, Ines, Iris, Isolde, Juliet, Josephine, Livia, Laurel, Leonie, Larissa, Madeleine, Marianne, Melinda, Marissa, Melisande, Maria, Margot, Miriam, Mara, Nina, Nadine, Nathalie, Ottilie, Odette, Odille, Peronelle, Romilly, Rowena, Rhiann, Sylvie, Sienna, Sadie, Susannah, Saffron, Sorrel, Tamsin, Tamara, Thea, Vivienne, Vanessa, Verity, Yasmin, Yvette

A4Document Mon 02-May-16 12:49:31

I like Leni and Grace.

Raines100 Tue 03-May-16 14:18:35

Love Leni and sounds great with Lotte!
Really like Adelie- never heard it before but very pretty.
Grace is a bit meh.
Mathilde is a nice name but not as pretty as the others.
Not keen on Hilde. Prefer Tilde (Tild-ee) and could be short for Mathilde.

AuntJane Tue 03-May-16 20:26:36

My first thought was of Lotte Lenya - has no-one else heard of her? I would avoid Leni for that reason.

I like Magali, another French name.

Laniakea Tue 03-May-16 20:50:30

argh .... I immediately thought of Leni Riefenstahl which would put me off!

Mathilde is lovely though smile

1horatio Wed 04-May-16 10:09:43

I personally don't like Leni. It sounds a bit silly to me (my first language is German). Like it's actually supposed to be a nn, maybe for Lena or Leandra... Sorry.

I personally love Mathilda or Hilda. Mathilde and Adelie sound so "not pretty" to me with a German pronounciation. But if you think you can "enforce" a French pronoucniation they'de be gorgeous.

Lotte is really pretty btw.

redexpat Wed 04-May-16 10:20:18

We had a Lottie at school. Her sisters were Abigail and Felicity.

heavenknows2007 Fri 06-May-16 23:54:22

We LOVE Leni too -- until everyone we knew pointed out that people would think of Leni Riefenstahl. Not everyone would think that, obviously, but the fact that several people pointed that out and it's the first hit for "Leni" on google made me veer away from the name of a Hitler propagandist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now