Change name or use middle name?

(9 Posts)
lovelygrace Wed 27-Apr-16 22:33:19

My baby daughter is nearly six months and for nearly the whole time she has been born I have had a nagging feeling that she should be called her middle name. However, her first and middle name sound stunning (well I think so anyway) in their current order so reluctant to swap them. Both names have the same initial. Should I change her name formally, stick to what she is or just call her by her middle name? It is her christening soon so need to decide!!

Lalalili Wed 27-Apr-16 22:38:00

Middle name! One of our dc goes by a name that is different to that on her birth cert. It doesn't bother her and she rarely needs the formal name.

1horatio Wed 27-Apr-16 22:58:10

Call her by her middle name, imo. My nonna did this with my mum. It was never a problem...

rubberducker Wed 27-Apr-16 23:08:57

My DC all go by their middle names (family tradition). Hasn't caused any issues.

Sophronia Wed 27-Apr-16 23:10:56

I'd call her by her middle name.

mrsschu Thu 28-Apr-16 08:51:01

Go with her middle name. My dad has been called by his middle name all his life, it's never caused any problems. I know quite a few people for whom this is the case, it's not particularly unusual.

sooperdooper Thu 28-Apr-16 08:54:36

I know quite a few people who go by their middle name day to day, just do that rather than changing it officially

ABitAsleep Thu 28-Apr-16 09:50:34

I would personally change her name. It will get anoying as she gets older, if not for her, but for people around her. Teachers, employers, etc. It will only cause problems.

At school she will forever have to be telling people her name. Answer on the school register to a name she never uses. Apply for a job as one name, but have to give the HR department another name. Be introduced as one name and have to explain every time that her name is different. Have a group of friends, some of who will probably refer to her as one name and some would refer to her as others.

As the others have said, i know a couple of people that have used their middle names, and as an employer it is a nightmare. Applying for a job under one name, CV under another name. Having to give the accountants the 'proper name' but their other personnel documents under another name. Some colleagues using one name but some using another, and not really knowing which name should be used. Telling customers their name is one thing, but their certificates and qualifications in a different name.

LogicalThinking Thu 28-Apr-16 10:50:24

I am known by my middle name. I love my name but I hate the fact that it isn't my first name. It causes so much grief, I am constantly referred to as the wrong name. I have to book flights in my first name to match my passport, cheques have to be made payable to a name people don't know me as, all official ID has to be in my first name. It's a pain in the bum.
Many years ago it didn't matter as banks & other places would let you register under any name, but now they insist that it has to be the name that is on your birth certificate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now