Can I name my son the same name as a character from a sexual film?

(20 Posts)
LittleBoyDue Thu 21-Apr-16 22:02:58

Hi there,

There is a name I adore. However, it's a character in a sexual film - the last name of the character, would be my son's middle name...

Thanks you!!!

hobybabo Thu 21-Apr-16 22:05:22

Grey? Well it's a recognised name if not a common one. I don't think anyone would think of the film, and if it's his middle name even less so!

TimeOfGlass Thu 21-Apr-16 22:06:06

What's the name?

LittleBoyDue Thu 21-Apr-16 22:06:13

Yeah, but the first name would be Elliot, Christian's brother... So he would be Elliot Grey

LittleBoyDue Thu 21-Apr-16 22:06:37

Yeah, but the first name would be Elliot, Christian's brother... So he would be Elliot Grey

GeezeLouiseBelcher Thu 21-Apr-16 22:09:04

I loved Grey for a boy and planned to call ds Grey. Then that fucking book was released and I just couldn't. So annoying. It doesn't seem to be going away either. So it's up to you! Depends if it'd annoy you or not.

wigglesrock Thu 21-Apr-16 22:09:05

Do you mean you want to use the actual name - for example : Christian Grey Smith or just Grey as the middle name - James Grey Smith? If it's the latter then I wouldn't worry at all about it, if it's the first well I'd rethink.

StinkyMcgrinky Thu 21-Apr-16 22:09:06

If it helps I wouldn't have a clue who Elliott Grey was! Think it's a lovely name smile

LittleBoyDue Thu 21-Apr-16 22:11:32

I'd name him Elliot Grey H....., his brother - I'd definitely not go there with Christian! grin

Xmasbaby11 Thu 21-Apr-16 22:13:07

I've read the first book and wouldn't remember the name.

I love the name Eliot!

TimeOfGlass Thu 21-Apr-16 22:13:49

So Elliot Grey Surname?

Is Elliot Grey a major character in the film? If it helps, I wouldn't know who Elliot Grey was.

wigglesrock Thu 21-Apr-16 22:14:48

grin I think you'd be ok - I've read the books and it wouldn't occur to me.

ijustwannadance Thu 21-Apr-16 22:15:34

Well it's better than Dirk Diggler grin

Lurleene Thu 21-Apr-16 22:16:21

I thought you were going to say Ben Dover blush

LittleBoyDue Thu 21-Apr-16 22:16:58

I wouldn't say he was a huge character, no - he's in there though!

Yeah, Elliot Grey Surname!

Thanks all - I may not go with it yet grin DP doesn't like it, I'm just hoping!

SueTrinder Thu 21-Apr-16 22:20:23

BIL has Humbert as a middle name and plenty of people name their daughter Lolita and I'm sure Nabokov's novel will be read for a lot longer than FSOG. And Elliot Grey is a lot less unusual a name than either of those names.

ABitAsleep Fri 22-Apr-16 09:55:47

I've never read the books or seen the film, and obvioulsy i've heard of Christian Grey, but i wouldn't even have a clue that there was a character called Elliot Grey.

Plus, how many times will have actually be introduced as 'first name' 'middle name'. I have never used my middle name for anything. I don't even put in on formal certificates. (Also, aren't middle names suposed to be embarrasing? So you friends can ridicule you later in life? Everyone i know has an awful middle name that they hate, and often have competitions to see who has the worst grin )

1horatio Fri 22-Apr-16 11:05:39

I think Eliot Grey sounds nice! I don't think people will think of the book.
But how would you feel if your son finds out what he was named after? I think that's just something you have to decide...

LC01 Fri 22-Apr-16 11:10:54

It's a lovely name, and as the others have said. I don't think anyone would make a connection. Go for it!

Pinklily1 Sat 23-Apr-16 08:57:12

I've read all the books and didn't remember Elliot was his brothers name. I wouldn't worry about it. It's a lovely name so if you like it, go with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now