Gabriel

(15 Posts)
QueenMolotov Mon 11-Apr-16 11:21:36

I love this name for a boy; the sound of it, the look of it written down and the angelic connection (not that this would necessarily mean an angelic child! grin)

But, I have an accent which elongates vowel sounds so Gabriel sounds like gay-bree-ul. I don't really think much of this, but my DF pointed out it could cause teasing and I think he thinks it's a "gay name" confused (Please don't ask me what is a "gay name" as I don't know ...)

Would I be saddling a son with a name which gives him grief all of his life? That's what I'm worried about. What are your opinions, please?

BeautyGoesToBenidorm Mon 11-Apr-16 11:25:17

I have a Gabriel. In the nicest possible way, I think you're being daft. I pronounce it exactly the same way and with no bother!

MabelSideswipe Mon 11-Apr-16 11:27:48

I have one too. What other way can you pronounce it???

I have found lots of people say 'Gabrielle' when they read it though. This does annoy my son.

MadameDePompom Mon 11-Apr-16 11:27:58

Everyone pronounces it like that don't they? Ignore all the doom mongers who say he'll get teased for the 'gay' part.

Fab name.

AlleyCatandRastaMouse Mon 11-Apr-16 11:32:02

Gay is a nn for Gabriel in Ireland nothing wrong with that IMHO. What is wrong with Gay? hmm

MitzyLeFrouf Mon 11-Apr-16 11:42:15

I hate Gay as a nn for Gabriel because......well, Gay Byrne. Can't stand him.

Gabriel is a brilliant name and I like Gabe for short. Gabe sounds like the strong silent type. He'd be able to chop a tree down with one swing of the axe.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Mon 11-Apr-16 11:47:40

It's the name we've got chosen for a boy.
Due to personal reasons and a long story. We toyed with wether we could use it, but. We've decided to.

QueenMolotov Mon 11-Apr-16 11:49:39

Ah, no other ways to pronounce it, I suppose blush

My Dad is being silly. I love the name; I always have. No other name comes near to it IMO. Love Gabe, Gabs, Gabby and Gaby as NNs. DF will just be to get a grip!

QueenMolotov Mon 11-Apr-16 11:49:51

*just have to

TempsPerdu Mon 11-Apr-16 12:09:00

It's my favourite boys' name ever - absolutely love it. And I'd pronounce it exactly the same way as you OP. The 'gay' thing wouldn't bother me at all.

nectarini1983 Mon 11-Apr-16 14:35:52

I love this name, one of my fave boys names ever...I'd be sure nn would be Gabe if anything, in same way as Gabrielle/a gets nn Gabby.

neverenoughwine Mon 11-Apr-16 15:52:06

I have a Gabriel - absolutely adore it.

I admit when having my daughter, I completely vetoed it. (as I then being 20 was worried about the 'Gay' connotation - that was until I met his fathers Rugby chum 'Gabe' and completely changed my mind!!

Gabe is such a strong name and Gabriel is very cute when they are younger.

We lived in Yorkshire when he was born and now live in Nottinghamshire.

We haven't met many - although it's more popular now than when he was born 7 years ago!

My new partner and his family adore the name also (They are Italian / Scottish)

MrsS1990 Mon 11-Apr-16 15:53:54

️gorgeous name but I'd latch onto the gabe nickname before gay pops up!

CrystalMcPistol Mon 11-Apr-16 15:56:22

Baby Gabey!

mrsschu Mon 11-Apr-16 17:04:35

Lovely name, can't imagine he'd be teased because of it! I know a couple of Gabriel's and it suits them both.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now