I've changed my mind again - help

(33 Posts)
poppingcandy89 Sat 09-Apr-16 23:18:39

Ok I'm really starting to panic!! I thought I had 'the' name - Katya - but partner really doesn't like it and in turn I have gone off it. I find myself going off pretty much every name and none really 'jump out'.

Some other potentials are:
Zoe
Chloe
Alexa
Amelie
Emily (although they are in abundance in my area)
Natalia

I think the other thing that worries me is that I don't seem to have a 'style' of names that I like, e.g traditional. Does anyone have any suggestions that fit with the ones listed?!

I don't have any particular desire for an unusual/different name, my son is George so perhaps something to fit with that? Daughter will be mixed British and Nigerian, she will have a Nigerian middle name (mil chooses this when she is born) and surname.

Slight issue is partner thinks giving a mixed-race baby a name like 'Emily' or 'Charlotte' will look strange, I think he's stereotyping baby before she's born... We have opposite tastes in names but ultimately he's agreed that as her middle name and surname will be Nigerian he will accept whatever I want to call her.

Shelleymoon Sat 09-Apr-16 23:39:20

Eliza ?

Daydreambelievers Sat 09-Apr-16 23:46:37

I love Alice , it goes well with George.

Itinerary Sat 09-Apr-16 23:49:13

I like Chloe, Emily and Natalia.

OneMagnumisneverenough Sat 09-Apr-16 23:50:47

I like Alexa - Alexa and George sound nice together.

or maybe Amber?

OneMagnumisneverenough Sat 09-Apr-16 23:51:08

Zara?

BackforGood Sat 09-Apr-16 23:54:32

I like Chloe and Zoe from your list.

What about Angela, Elizabeth, Fiona, Janette, Martha, Suzanne ?

poppingcandy89 Sun 10-Apr-16 00:03:28

Zara was my 'favourite' for a while but I'd hate it to be confused with 'Sara' and at times I think I have a bit of a lisp so it just didn't work haha.

I like Amber... Not sure if Natalia would be too much with surname though which is Osholaja. Can't decide if we need a name ending more with an 'ee' sound like Zoe or if the 'a' sound still works on the end?

ThirtyNineWeeks Sun 10-Apr-16 00:15:18

You're simply panicking. Practice shouting each name out loud as if you're calling your child in from play. Which sounds the most pleasing to you?

clue: it's Natalia

snuffykins Sun 10-Apr-16 00:16:19

Calina

FriendofBill Sun 10-Apr-16 00:19:14

I like Natalia with the surname.
Kind of ties the name together.

OneMagnumisneverenough Sun 10-Apr-16 00:25:04

Carla
Kayla
Lily
Amaris/Amarys
Tamar

OneMagnumisneverenough Sun 10-Apr-16 00:25:34

Lexus.

OneMagnumisneverenough Sun 10-Apr-16 00:26:19

That was supposed to be Kezia!

Pannacott Sun 10-Apr-16 00:40:17

I really like Zoe, and it's not so unusual for a mixed race woman (Zoe Kravitz). I think a very trad English name might be have more tricky implications for a mixed heritage girl.

I don't think it's a problem that you don't have a favourite style - I'd say that's a good thing smile

poppingcandy89 Sun 10-Apr-16 01:58:03

Just to add to my difficulties, I am a teacher and have taught children with lots of these names grrr. Love Kezia but taught one and associate it strongly with her. Yes I do like Zoe... Ahh so hard...

queenoftheboys Sun 10-Apr-16 03:15:18

I don't see the issue with "traditional" English names for a mixed heritage child, they reflect your heritage, just as her middle and surnames will reflect her father's.

I do think names ending in an "a" sound are a bit of a mouthful with your surname - not terrible, just a bit tricky. Zoe is my favourite of your options, and Chloe and Emily sound good too.

How about Lucy, Lily, Annabel, Genevieve

whatdoIget Sun 10-Apr-16 05:04:03

Lol at Lexus. I thought it was an unusual suggestion.
What about Serena op?
Your suggestions are all lovely though smile

IslaSinga Sun 10-Apr-16 05:33:20

Nia
Naomi
Nina
Eliza
Nyah
Ava
Zoe

justabigdisco Sun 10-Apr-16 08:40:23

I have dual heritage kids (I'm white British, my husband is from south east Asia). They have his surname plus a Hindu middle name so we went fully Western for the first names. Plus I wanted to make sure they were easy to pronounce/spell to counteract their surname.

Mottled Sun 10-Apr-16 08:55:52

Not sure what tricky implications there would be in calling a mixed race (or child of any race for that matter) Charlotte or Emily. Anyway, how about Talia? Similar style to Katya, shortening of Natalia.

Vixxfacee Sun 10-Apr-16 09:01:34

The name George is similar to the name Emily as in like you say for a mixed race baby.
What about Talia if you like Natalia?
Alexia
Alexis
Amaya

Sophronia Sun 10-Apr-16 09:07:05

Emma
Grace
Zara
Esther
Aphra
Kate
Naomi
Christina
Sadie
Maria
Noelle
Olivia
Ruby
Thea

LaceyLee Sun 10-Apr-16 09:29:53

I think Anya. Or Zoe from your list smile

AutumnRose1988 Sun 10-Apr-16 09:34:45

Natalia would go nice with the surname. It would be a very impressive name. Anya lovely too x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now