Joanne

(40 Posts)
littlejolee Thu 24-Mar-16 10:39:38

Not expecting but have a DS, was talking to dp about what name we would choose if we ever did have a girl, he suggested Joanne, thoughts?

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 24-Mar-16 10:40:55

Much prefer Joanna, think it's much more elegant, prettier etc.

AnnSmiley Thu 24-Mar-16 10:46:10

For some reason, Joanne was the cool girl at school who always played centre in the netball team and all the boys fancied, and who I never liked blush

Joanna, however, despite being so close is somehow so much nicer, and is on our list for any future DDs.

HawkEyeTheNoo Thu 24-Mar-16 10:52:10

I love Joanna, I'm not too keen on Joanne. Although probably because I knew a bitch girl called Joanne who wasn't very nice, but I have a friends Joanna who is just the most elegant, gorgeous and nicest person ever!!

ApocalypseSlough Thu 24-Mar-16 11:01:55

It's a little plain. Joanna/ Johanna much prettier.

MargotLovedTom Thu 24-Mar-16 11:07:10

There are some names where adding an 'a'/'ah' makes them much more appealing - Susan/Susannah, Anne/Anna and Joanne/Joanna being three that spring to mind.

KoalaDownUnder Thu 24-Mar-16 11:07:49

Ummm. I really dislike both Joanne and Joanna.

Joanne is pure 1970s, a la Tanya, Michelle and Lisa. Plain and dated.

Joanna might as well be goanna (Australian).

sad

juniperdingleberries Thu 24-Mar-16 11:09:43

I think it's pretty and classic but still recent enough to not be classed as an "old lady" name.
Joanna has a nice ring to it also but I think Joanne is better if its what you like, a lot of girls names end in a sound and it makes it a bit different and quirkier.

juniperdingleberries Thu 24-Mar-16 11:10:10

That should read *an "a" sound

Sophronia Thu 24-Mar-16 11:54:46

I prefer Joanna

ABitAsleep Thu 24-Mar-16 12:31:34

Much prefer Joanna, has a nicer sound to it

Nuttypops Thu 24-Mar-16 12:43:39

I prefer Joanna as well, but saying that, DD's middle name is Joanne (she is 16 months) but only because it is a combination of her two Grannies' names. It isn't commonly heard these days I don't think.

VocationalGoat Thu 24-Mar-16 12:49:01

Johanna or Joanna

WellErrr Thu 24-Mar-16 12:52:34

I don't think I've ever known a nice Joanne. Sorry.

Tokelau Thu 24-Mar-16 12:55:05

I know some lovely Joannes, but they are my age. I wouldn't choose the name but I don't dislike it. I prefer Joanna though.

mrsschu Thu 24-Mar-16 14:19:23

Joanne is dreadfully dated and not due a revival IMO! Joanna is marginally better but not much. I was born in the early 80's and went to school with a number of Joanne's/Joanna's, all of them were horrible incidentally.

Wafflenose Thu 24-Mar-16 14:33:18

I know a lovely one who is 12.

Jade1212 Thu 24-Mar-16 14:37:16

The only thing to be wary of is that it will never ever be spelt correctly! Joanne, Joann, Jo-Anne, Jo-Ann, Jo-An, Jo Anne, Jo Ann (I've seen all of these for the Joanne in my life!)

nectarini1983 Thu 24-Mar-16 19:38:23

Prefer Joanna to Joanne but agree that it does sound very 80s.

Raahh Fri 25-Mar-16 00:28:00

I'm a Joanne- I am 44, and at one point there were 5 of us in one language class. I have never liked my my name. And it sounds awful in a nasal Mancunian accent (which is where I'm from)

I've never known anyone spell it wrong.

But, I much prefer to be 'Jo' (I hate Joanna, was plagued by the Scott Walker song as a child).

And I'm really lovely- but knew some really mean Joanna's grin

Narp Fri 25-Mar-16 05:35:36

I am 46 and Joanne was one of the most common names when I was at school.

I quite like it, but I prefer Joanna

smartyclogs Fri 25-Mar-16 06:21:50

I like it, along with Rachael and Emma (which are also 70s/80s names yet seem to be quite popular at the mo)
Never had a problem spelling Joanne.

KnockMeDown Fri 25-Mar-16 06:29:38

Joanne is the worst name ever grin

I say that as a Joanna, who was constantly and infuriatingly called Joanne through childhood, until I changed to just Jo when I went to sixth form college, just to avoid the problem.

Now many 30 years later it still grates. Just the other day I was called to an appointment as Joanne, when my notes clearly stated Joanna. I had to correct them through gritted teeth angry

littlejolee Fri 25-Mar-16 07:25:37

Guess it's a no to Joanne then! He only suggested it because it's my name. (I take no offence to everyone saying no BTW, I don't dislike Mt name but I'm not a massive fan) smile

WellErrr Fri 25-Mar-16 08:00:59

Even worse then!! I've NEVER understood why people name their children after themselves.
It just seems really odd and narcissistic to me. Sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now