Sister for Sadhbh (pron "Sive").

(29 Posts)
Diggum Thu 17-Mar-16 21:44:04

I love DD1's name. It means sweet/sweetness. I loved it as soon as DP suggested it. But sadly I can't now use it for DD2!

We're really struggling to find a name that feels right. There are several English names I love, but DP and I are both kind of keen on another Irish name.

So, Irish names I like:
Saorla ("Sayrla" or "Seerla"? the flip-flopping puts me off)
Fia
Doireann ("Dirren" but DP doesn't like)
Maeve (but too matchy?)
Róisín or Róise ("Roe-sheen" or "Roe-sha").

Non-Irish names I like:
Robyn
Hazel

I think I like Robyn most actually but then I feel torn for not choosing something Irish, and I fear DP may veto....

Arghh! I hate choosing names. It's like choosing a buggy. I'm constantly finding faults!

Help me please of wise ones of Mumsnet! Any suggestions that go well with Sadhbh? I'm up for Welsh, Scottish, Cornish suggestions too- anything tangentially Gaelic really.

Finola1step Thu 17-Mar-16 21:47:25

How about Arelie? I think it means light and is the Irish version of Helen.

dementedma Thu 17-Mar-16 21:51:10

How old is dd1 and how many people can spell/pronounce her name correctly?
What about Orla?

evelynj Thu 17-Mar-16 21:52:33

Just to check is its ive rhyming with hive? Sorry-I'm Irish but never heard of it.

I like Fia & Roisin. What about Caiomhe or Aideen, or Clodagh. There's tons of good Irish names. The only thing that worries me is the spelling for them.

Congratulations!

AgentCooper Thu 17-Mar-16 21:53:16

Róisín is a beauty. I love Sinè as well, and Aisling. Love Sadhbh, that's a great name smile

LineyReborn Thu 17-Mar-16 21:53:30

Moya / Maura?

DramaAlpaca Thu 17-Mar-16 21:55:50

I adore the name Sadhbh. Sadly couldn't use it as I had boys.

From your list I agree Maeve is too matchy.

I really like Fia, but would probably go for the spelling Fiadh.

Róisín also goes really well with Sadhbh.

Other suggestions:

Caoimhe
Eibhlin
Eimear
Muireann

StandByYourTesselators Thu 17-Mar-16 21:56:42

The only two Irish names I know are Siobhan and Saoirse (Shi-vawn and Seersha), but they both go really well with Sadhbh.

Diggum Thu 17-Mar-16 21:57:06

DD1 is 2 and there have been no pronunciation problems but then I doubt many people have seen it written down! I'd say a lot of people would spell it Sive.

Orla is lovely but I know a few Orlas so it sort of feels like it's already taken. Haven't heard of Arelie before. Off to google!

lcoc2015 Thu 17-Mar-16 21:57:35

Siofra (sheefra)
Iona
orlaith (orla)
Fiadh (think that means fawn/dear)
Cara (friend in irish)
Dara
sibeal
blath / blathnaid
cushla

canyou Thu 17-Mar-16 21:58:23

We have a Rosin but she is always called Rosy.
A friend has a Sadhbh and an older son called Fiachrach so Fia would work in my mind.
Aisling, Siobhab, Blathnaid, Cait
flowers Congratulations

OverAndAbove Thu 17-Mar-16 21:59:43

Aoife would go nicely (if that's the correct spelling - I mean Ee-fa).

Or yes, Orla is good

ipsofatto234 Thu 17-Mar-16 21:59:51

Suggestions:
Saoirse (freedom)
Juno (always liked it - Juno & The Paycock)
Aisling (dream)
Muireann (Miriam)
Siobhan
Sinead
Grainne (love?)
Niamh
Pia
Roisin

Good luck with the naming! You'll know as soon as you see her, if not before :-)

ipsofatto234 Thu 17-Mar-16 22:00:19

^^
Love Aoife

Diggum Thu 17-Mar-16 22:03:21

Thanks all! Yes evelynj it rhymes with hive. A good few Irish people seem never to have heard of it actually, which surprised me.

Drama yes, we'd go with Fiadh if we used that name (just didn't want to have to spell them all out phonetically!).

Eibhlín is lovely but DP not keen. Saoirse DP likes but I'm not keen confused.

I do love Róisín actually. I think I was put off it initially as I had a frenemy in school called Róisín and it also felt a teeny bit old-fashioned... I need to imagine it on a baby a bit more maybe.

monniemae Thu 17-Mar-16 22:03:42

I love Ailbhe (Alva) (i might be biased...)
Also love Aoife, Aisling and Clodagh with your first daughter's name.

Diggum Thu 17-Mar-16 22:07:17

I'd never really considered Aoife but that does sound nice too.

I've definitely been guilty of dismissing the names that were used widely in my class in school. I need to stop doing that.

Diggum Thu 17-Mar-16 22:08:21

Monnie a close family member is Ailbhe, but I agree it's a beautiful name.

SoftSheen Thu 17-Mar-16 22:12:12

Róise is very lovely.

DingbatsFur Thu 17-Mar-16 22:13:42

Liadain!

wigglesrock Thu 17-Mar-16 22:31:25

Etain ( sorry I can't get the fada up) - one of my dds goes to school with an Etain - it's gorgeous when you say it out loud. From your list I like Saorla. I have a Fia but it's from Sofia.

thebunnies Thu 17-Mar-16 22:31:37

How about Ailis, Bríd, Críona, Laoise, Muireann or Nessa ?

Sophronia Fri 18-Mar-16 00:16:58

Aisling
Blaithin
Bronagh
Eilis
Niamh
Orlaith
Saraid
Siofra
Sorcha

SoThatHappened Fri 18-Mar-16 02:11:13

It's actually been mentioned before on MN and Aoife was a strong alternative.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/baby_names/976084-Sadhbh-ryhmes-with-five-for-girl

Canyouforgiveher Fri 18-Mar-16 02:20:07

How about Sorcha? It means brightness which is a good match for your other daughter's name. It is one of my favourite names - thought about using it for dd2 but I am not in Ireland and really felt it would be unfair to use it. If people around you can manage Sadhbh, they can definitely manage Sorcha. I dreamt about having a dark-haired daughter I could call Sorcha Dorcha.

I also love Iseult or Isolde if you want a name that bridges both Ireland and UK.

Ademar is a lovely Irish name for a girl.

My dd1's name has been suggested on here (different spelling though) and it is a lovely name if very rare that should be straightforward enough to pronounce (easier than Sadhbh or Sorcha) - or so I thought - but in fact everyone gets it wrong and she now goes by a shortened version because she was so self-conscious about her name being constantly mispronounced.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now