Irish/Celtic girls name for dd

(39 Posts)
Embolio Thu 10-Mar-16 03:54:53

Poor child is a week old and still nameless! Her brothers are Aidan and Oisín.

Shortlist before she was born was -

Niamh
Muireann
Cara
Fódhla/Fóla
Nainsí
Sorcha

But now we can't agree. Dh's mum was Nancy so we might use that or Anne for a middle name (obv not if we use Nainsí as first name).

Any and all suggestions welcome - I like Fóla and Muireann best I think but DH being infuriatingly non- commital, grrr.

Embolio Thu 10-Mar-16 03:57:12

Should say also we can't use Maeve, Aoife, Saoirse, Caoimhe as they are already taken by friends/family.

BettyBitesBums Thu 10-Mar-16 04:06:26

I love Fionnuala (nn. Nuala), Aibhlinn, Aisling, Siobhan (very biased here) and Orlagh (again very biased), Eimear and Maebh.

BettyBitesBums Thu 10-Mar-16 04:09:09

Just realised you probably wanted a preference from your list rather than a new list blush sorry! I like Muireann Nancy best.

NoncommittalToSparkleMotion Thu 10-Mar-16 04:11:10

I love Cara and Niamh.

Niamh Anne might be a nice nod to Dh's mum?

Pollyputhtekettleon Thu 10-Mar-16 05:09:05

Niamh is nicest I think. Have you ever seen that TV show where the Irish girl gets knocked up by the American. Very funny. But their daughter is Muireann. Very funny scenes about the name.

IdaShaggim Thu 10-Mar-16 05:13:52

I actually think 'Nainsi Anne' flows really nicely! E

Embolio Thu 10-Mar-16 10:39:18

Thanks guys - I'm going to have to corner DH today and try to decide. Think I'm going towards Muireann Anne or Muireann Nancy although I like Niamh Anne too.

DH has now said he doesn't like Fóla or Cara (it's like getting blood out of a stone to get his opinion).

I like Aisling but DH wasn't keen as he went to school with a girl of that name who was (quote) 'a melter'.

polly yes have seen those clips from the tv show grin I have a friend called Muireann and she's well used to saying ' a bit like Helen Mirren' after she introduces herself to the uninitiated!

Embolio Thu 10-Mar-16 10:42:09

DH liked Nainsí Rose/Nancy Rose but we wondered if it sounded a bit like a ships name?

MissTessmacher Thu 10-Mar-16 10:44:29

I just can't get excited about Niamh. It's rather dated and I went to school with about 40 of them.

Muireann is much better.

(I really like Fóla though and know a lovely Finvola who is sometimes called Fóla).

Love your boys names!

DramaAlpaca Thu 10-Mar-16 10:44:48

Love Muireann, gorgeous name.

OneMagnumisneverenough Thu 10-Mar-16 12:35:48

My favourite is probably Cara but Muireann and Nainsí are nice too. What about Ciara?

OneMagnumisneverenough Thu 10-Mar-16 12:36:19

My favourite is probably Cara but Muireann and Nainsí are nice too. What about Ciara?

Embolio Thu 10-Mar-16 15:21:31

I like Ciara but I know LOADS of them, big and small. Cant get excited about Niamh really, I like it as a name and everything but there are a lot of them around.

We are no closer to deciding - everyone I see or talk to asks me her name blush. Must decide tonight! Thanks everyone smile

MissTessmacher Thu 10-Mar-16 16:15:47

What about Caoimhe or Cliodhna?

IoraRua Thu 10-Mar-16 16:19:34

I am not a fan of Muireann Ann, I just think it's a lot of ann sounds together iyswim. Muireann Aine? Same meaning but a different sound.
Niamh Anne is lovely. I prefer Muireann to Niamh though.
What about Fiadh, Siofra, Liadain, Aoibheann, Aifric?

weegiemum Thu 10-Mar-16 16:20:08

what about Eilidh?

applecatchers36 Thu 10-Mar-16 16:28:57

Clodagh?
Think Ciara and Siobhan are nice from other names mentioned...

ifgrandmahadawilly Thu 10-Mar-16 16:36:02

What about Welsh names?

Ffion
Aneira (pronounced an-eye-rah)
Nia
Gwen
Rhian

MNetter15 Thu 10-Mar-16 16:40:54

I like

Clodagh
Saoirse
Aoibhe
Eabha
Aine
Cait
Aisling
Aoife
Roisin
Orla
Cliona
Roise
Maeve (various spellings)
Aoibheann
Aoibh
Aoibhin

Hope you understand those without the fada, iPad playing up.

Embolio Thu 10-Mar-16 19:33:27

Thanks all - I really like Liadan but DH not keen, he's also vetoed Clodagh, Eilish and Cliona (all of which I like). I really like Roise but can't use it as I already have an Oisín.

Agree Muireann Anne is prob too many 'ann' sounds on reflection confused DS1 has just suggested 'oats' and 'peso' at this point it nearly sounds sensible wink

CremeEggThief Thu 10-Mar-16 19:36:16

Cara from your list or how about Aine? Nancy is a variation of Anne, by the way.

lamusic Thu 10-Mar-16 19:45:55

Eilidh

Embolio Thu 10-Mar-16 20:34:07

I know Nancy is a variation of Anne, it was my mil's name. That's why we were considering either as an option (probably middle name). I wouldn't use the two together of course wink

Embolio Thu 10-Mar-16 20:35:33

Not keen on Aine really...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now