Could we use Madeleine with Molly for short?

(31 Posts)
tvandacupoftea Fri 04-Mar-16 19:30:56

Am wondering if this could work?

We were choosing between Madeleine and Molly (love both) and eventually chose Madeleine as it ages a bit better. But DH has just suggested using Molly for short... Would this make any sense?

Will probably be Madeleine Isabel, honouring my granny grin is this pretty?

TIA smile

BedTimeNow Fri 04-Mar-16 19:33:40

Hi op I think they sound like 2 very different names so Molly as a nickname for Madeline doesn't work for me.

what about Maddy as a nickname for Madeline?

PotteringAlong Fri 04-Mar-16 19:34:36

They're 2 different names. Call her Molly or call her Madeleine but you need to pick one.

BedTimeNow Fri 04-Mar-16 19:34:50

And Madeleine Isabel sounds very pretty smile

DontBuyANewMumCashmere Fri 04-Mar-16 19:35:34

You could call her Sharon for short if you like, but I don't think Molly is short for Madeleine!!! Do you not like Maddy?

I think the name Madeleine Isobel is gorgeous. What's your last initial; would initials make a word or something?

OvariesBeforeBrovaries Fri 04-Mar-16 19:38:09

People would automatically go for Maddy as a nickname but if you correct them and establish her as Molly from the start I can't see there being a mahoosive problem.

I can highly recommend Maddy as a nickname - I'm Madison known exclusively as Maddy/Mads and am always getting compliments on what a pretty name Maddy is smile

neonrainbow Fri 04-Mar-16 19:39:33

Molly isn't a nickname. for madeleine. Madeleine isabel is very pretty.

thebiscuitindustry Fri 04-Mar-16 19:40:43

I don't think of the names as being connected. Molly is a nickname for Mary.

AuntieStella Fri 04-Mar-16 19:50:30

It's not the traditional nickname.

But Madeleine is a Maryan name, so I don't think it's totally unworkable

IoraRua Fri 04-Mar-16 19:55:07

They are two very different names.
But of course you can do it, you could name her Snozzwongler for short if you wanted to.
Fwiw I prefer Madeleine, but no huge reason why you can't do your idea. Just be prepared for some surprised people.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Fri 04-Mar-16 20:25:00

Well it's not a standard nn for Madeleine, but there are no laws

Sophronia Sat 05-Mar-16 01:31:41

I think it's fine, and it's nicer than Maddy

VinceNoirLovesHowardMoon Sat 05-Mar-16 02:17:43

No.

julfin Sat 05-Mar-16 02:57:46

Yes it can definitely work if you want it to, although it won't happen naturally unless you push it. If you introduce her / she introduces herself as Madeleine, people will be inclined to shorten it to Maddie not Molly. And if you introduce her as Molly then people will just assume that's her name and won't think it's short for Madeleine.

Personally I prefer Madeleine (and Maddie) to Molly - much prettier imo. And Madeleine Isabel is beautiful.

The only reason to avoid (or add a second middle name) would be if your surname begins with an A (Missing In Action).

Gummibearchen Mon 07-Mar-16 14:17:04

No, I do not think Molly is a natural nickname for Madeleine - there's not even an 'o' in Madeleine. I think Maddie is inevitable if you go for Madeleine. If you're not keen on it, then I'd choose another name altogether.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 07-Mar-16 14:17:51

No.

Xmasbaby11 Mon 07-Mar-16 14:20:09

They are two different names. You need to choose one.

I like Madeleine and Maddie but they are too popular around here and that would put me off.

calamityjam Mon 07-Mar-16 14:20:46

What about Lainey as a nick name for Madeleine? You could spell it Madelaine?

BackforGood Mon 07-Mar-16 14:21:25

As others have said, you can actually call anyone, any nickname you want - be it 'Titch', 'Giggsy', 'PJ', 'petal', or an actual name, but Molly isn't a derivative of Madeleine so it seems a bit strange to give her one name and call her another.

BloodyDogHairs Mon 07-Mar-16 14:22:16

Definitely no.

Ilovegummibaers Mon 07-Mar-16 14:26:12

Molly is a nice name imo (I prefer it to Maddie which sounds like someone who's mad!), but I don't think you can use it as a natural nickname for Madeleine. Isn't it short for Mary traditionally?

KatieT12 Mon 07-Mar-16 18:40:22

No way, but Madeleine Isabel is nice and I like Maddie/Maddy x

shutupandshop Mon 07-Mar-16 18:45:40

Well Daisy is short for Margaret so why not?

Paddletonio Mon 07-Mar-16 18:53:00

I don't think it makes sense really - both very nice names, but they aren't the same name!

NewLife4Me Mon 07-Mar-16 18:55:30

You could but maddy is the nn she'll probably get at school or even worse, dd best friend is madison they call her mad.
Her Dad can't stand it and scowls at the kids grin They have no idea what he's scowling for.
The girl doesn't mind it at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now