First AND surname concerns argh!

(10 Posts)
poppingcandy89 Tue 01-Mar-16 17:06:21

Ok so my first and biggest issue is I cannot for the life of me think of a name for my daughter that I like for longer than a few weeks! I've looked online/in baby books etc and NOTHING jumps out as being 'the' one, if that makes sense? With my son I just knew the name I wanted and I love it so much still 7 years later.

Secondly, my boyfriend wants baby to have his surname. I'm torn on this. We have been together for 6 months and I'm 19 weeks pregnant... He's been fab and supportive and we are buying a house together but I'm still unsure. My biggest regret with my son was giving him his dad's surname at birth despite his father leaving me during pregnancy (I was trying to 'win' him back, was young and naive). So I'll potentially be in a situation where I'm going to the dentist with my children for instance and registering myself, Popping 'Smith', my son, a 'Jones' and my baby.

Any advice is very much welcomed!

MadameDePompom Tue 01-Mar-16 17:09:55

My biggest regret with my son was giving him his dad's surname at birth

You know the answer already. Give the baby either your surname or both surnames. Can you also add your surname to your DS1's name so you all have one surname in common?

IoraRua Tue 01-Mar-16 17:11:47

Double barrell the surname.
As for first names, if there are any you vaguely like post them here and I'll try think of some similar ones.

poppingcandy89 Tue 01-Mar-16 17:16:20

My boyfriend is Nigerian, his surname is Osholaja so I'm worried double barrell will be too much with that one!

poppingcandy89 Tue 01-Mar-16 17:17:08

So far Zara, Imogen, Scarlett and Katya but none are 'wowing' me...

Blu Tue 01-Mar-16 17:39:28

What about calling your dd Shola (or even Oshola) as a first name and then your surname?

I know a few Shola and Osholas.

julfin Wed 02-Mar-16 23:12:25

Osholaja would be a pretty middle name for a girl. Zara is lovely and goes nicely with osholaja. Zara osholaja smith. Or you could double-barrel: Zara osholaja-smith.

Don't give the baby just your DP's surname.

Re other first names, how about Katerina, Cara, Layla or Serena?

ABitAsleep Thu 03-Mar-16 12:50:50

I agree with the others, if you regretted giving your Son his fathers name, you may regret it this time too. Hopefully your partner will be understanding if he knows how you feel about your son's last name. You can always change them later, if you decide to get married or get more serious. You children may also change their own names when they are older too. I have known several people who changed their last name in their teens to their step-dads name or to their mothers maiden name.

As for first names, from you list i love Zara and adore Katya! How about;

Torla
Cora
Mina
Amina
Talia
Sadie
Mona
Serafina
Michaela
Tamzin
Tazmin
Shona
Sharna
Rhia

LovelyBranches Fri 04-Mar-16 10:43:42

I love Zara, it's classic beautiful and it's my cousins name and she's lovely so very positive connotations.

squoosh Fri 04-Mar-16 10:46:17

Zara is my favourite too from the list OP. Gorgeous name.

And definitely give the baby your surname.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now