Me and DH cannot agree getting nowhere!!

(9 Posts)
Onthedowns Sat 27-Feb-16 07:54:08

Anyone find naming process stressful? Second DC sex unknown and we have some names but cannot agree and none are jumping at me going Wow love that name! Got stressed last night as 35 weeks and feel like this poor baby just isn't getting same attention! Had two lovely names with first dd and one boys name! This baby has same boys name too and it feels second best! 😩 How do reach agreement! ? It almost feels like no excitement in naming! We haven't even reached middke names! Boys names Reuben, zane, zavier, me I like Theo . DH likes Louis, Lewis and inigo! Girls both like sienna, me Thea, Brooke, Cassia. DH loves Isla Olivia poppy ! We already have an Isabella rose two syllable surname. I like Isla but against children having same initials I M !! HELP

marshmallowpies Sat 27-Feb-16 08:04:42

Isla is much too similar to Isabella, I'd avoid that. Sienna is lovely though.

Alternatives could be:
Sylvie
Marianne
Claudia
Lucia
Laurel
Serena
Celia
Emilie

marshmallowpies Sat 27-Feb-16 08:08:18

I meant to add, we found the second baby hard too - we used a name we both liked for DD1 and second time neither of us had a 'favourite'. In the end DD2 had a name I never would have picked out beforehand, but when we thought of it, it was the one name we could agree on.

No idea about boys names as we found out the sex both times and I never really had a boys shortlist. No idea what I would have called a DS - Alexander is the one boys name I really like.

BathtimeFunkster Sat 27-Feb-16 08:11:44

feel like this poor baby just isn't getting same attention!

grin It might as well get used to it early!

Don't sweat it. You'll come up with a lovely name.

Why not make a shortlist of the ones you both like and then park it for a bit?

3luckystars Sat 27-Feb-16 08:40:17

Write a list each of 20 names. If any name appears on both your lists, then pick that as your number one, even I you don't love it.
Forget about it for a few days, this takes the pressure off now that you have one name you both like, you will be able to think clearly. If you want to go back searching for names again, then its not the right name but you at least have one fall back!

Sometimes the names that jump out are the mad ones, and the one you do end up picking is one you kinda like and it grows on you.

I also found a great tool online, its called baby name genie, "name test drive" and that will rule out most of them. I wish I found it ages ago!

manicinsomniac Sat 27-Feb-16 09:27:03

Your tastes seem quite similar, you've just picked different favourites.

If you both like Sienna, could you not go for that?

Otherwise, I'd say Thea, Brooke, Olivia, Cassia, Poppy and Isla are in the same camp as:
Amelia, Alice, Alexa, Amber, Bryony, Charlotte, Chloe, Connie, Darcey, Emily, Eleanor, Ella, Eliza, Faith, Flora, Freya, Grace, Georgia, Hannah, Harriet, Imogen, Jessica, Jasmine, Katie, Kathryn, Katelyn, Lily, Lucy, Leah, Matilda, Madeleine, Natalie, Paige, Pippa, Phoebe, Ruby, Rosie, Sophie, Savannah, Tegan, Tessa, Willow, Zara, Zoe

My favourite of your joint boys list is Zavier if it spelt Xavier. Otherwise, I like Reuben. Theo, Lewis and Inigo also good.

As alternatives, how about:
Aidan, Christian, Dylan, Elliot, Elijah, Felix, Harvey, Harley, Hugo, Isaac, Josiah, Luca, Milo, Micah, Noah, Oscar, Patrick, Ruan, Rory, Solomon, Teo, Vincent, William, Zachary

aprilanne Sat 27-Feb-16 09:31:18

hubby and i did he would pick if it was a son me a daughter . he got 3 goes and i got non

OneMagnumisneverenough Sat 27-Feb-16 09:38:42

We spent weeks and months thinking and talking about names for DC1, and then used none of them. He got a name on day 3 and it wasn't a name that we'd discussed. Because of that we didn't bother thinking and talking names at all for DC2, he got a name on day 10. Don't sweat it, just wait until the baby is born.

Onthedowns Sat 27-Feb-16 09:46:16

Thanks some good suggestions! We are mindful of pronunciation with zavier and Xavier , my nanny is Spanish and said for English it's better zavier as pronounced more for English tongue! Hence we like inigo but I think to far out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now