Ambrose

(43 Posts)
cheesylover Mon 22-Feb-16 20:53:37

DH absolutely loves it - I really love it too but worried it's too way out.

We started calling the bump Ambrose to see if it would stick...and it definitely has far, far more than anything else. But I'm nervous - quite possibly the responsibility of naming a human being is contributing to this though!

Thoughts?

Sophronia Mon 22-Feb-16 21:08:29

I think it's quite nice. I also like Emrys which is the Welsh form.

TillyTolly Mon 22-Feb-16 21:11:54

Love it! Was shortlisted for DS1. Emrys is also nice.

cheesylover Mon 22-Feb-16 21:35:16

Emrys is lovely!

GloryGrant Mon 22-Feb-16 21:38:54

I love it.

I read 'My Cousin Rachel' as a very young teen and fell in love with the name then. It was always on the list for a boy, but sadly never made it.

gunting Mon 22-Feb-16 21:39:15

Reminds me of ambrosia or the celeb Amber Rose

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Mon 22-Feb-16 22:06:37

Seems very feminine to me, sorry. Like Amber-Rose. No I don't like it, but it's not my baby

Hamsolo Mon 22-Feb-16 22:09:26

I love it!

HumbleCrumble Tue 23-Feb-16 09:36:14

It makes me think of custard, sorry!

BlueEnvelope Tue 23-Feb-16 10:00:49

I quite like it, but all the English Ambroses I've met have been rather posh, old-school Catholics, in case that association might bother you?

I know an elderly Irish Ambrose, who is known as Amby...

imwithspud Tue 23-Feb-16 10:03:48

I see it as more of a surname rather than a forename. It also reminds me of custard. It's a no for me I'm afraid.

BertrandRussell Tue 23-Feb-16 10:09:45

Try it out on a couple of teenagers to see how they react. I suspect they might think it very feminine, because Amber and Rose.

Imagine it being yelled across a football pitch.

It's also very Catholic if that bothers you at all.

MadameDePompom Tue 23-Feb-16 10:33:32

I don't like it. It sounds a bit feeble.

stumblymonkey Tue 23-Feb-16 10:56:22

Imagine it being shouted across a football pitch

hmm

Because all boys should be the same super-macho, football playing creatures?

Anyway...gender stereotyping aside...it's not a name I'd choose myself but I like the sound of it. I think it could work for either gender.

There's such a massive range of names used these days I don't think people need to be so caught up in whether a name is 'out there' as I think in the generation coming along now names will be almost an 'anything goes' thing.

MadameDePompom Tue 23-Feb-16 11:00:04

I think it could work for either gender.

Really? I can't picture it on a girl at all. But I'm not a fan of this trend for making boys names unisex.

tinytops Tue 23-Feb-16 11:00:46

I heard the name Aubrey the other day which I thought was nice and along similar lines?

BertrandRussell Tue 23-Feb-16 11:22:13

"Because all boys should be the same super-macho, football playing creatures?"

Yes of course. That's exactly what I meant. Well done.

unlimiteddilutingjuice Tue 23-Feb-16 11:26:01

I like it. Unusual but not too weirdy way out. I like Emrys too

MissTessmacher Tue 23-Feb-16 11:28:22

I really dislike it.

It sounds like a stern old Christian Brother. Too staid and catholic.

Emrys, on the other hand, is lovely. Have never hear it before and really like it. Different without being made up/wacky.

miaowli Tue 23-Feb-16 11:30:44

I really like the name. It does make me think of rice pudding, but only for a nanosecond! I'm sure it's my age, and younger people wouldn't even get that connotation. smile

Hamsolo Tue 23-Feb-16 11:32:53

I think it sounds strong and also really kind. It's unusual, but I don't think it's weird.

Talcott2007 Tue 23-Feb-16 11:44:43

Only time I have only heard the name before is in Maria V Snyder's Chronicles of Ixia series - Commander Ambrose - A very strong character so I like it! But this is probably a very niche association!

cakeinmyfacehole Tue 23-Feb-16 11:46:51

It's a lovely name... I think it sounds olde worlde and strong.

Crazypetlady Tue 23-Feb-16 11:48:19

First thought was 'why name a baby after custard' sorry.

gruffallofriend Tue 23-Feb-16 14:26:11

Ambrose is a good solid classic name! As others have said, kids are used to so many different names these days - and it makes a refreshing change from all the Archies, Charlies and Harrys (all nice names but very overused imo).

Go for it, especially if you and your dh love it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now