Choosing a name that is very close to a close friend's DD's name

(7 Posts)
swancourt Mon 22-Feb-16 20:04:23

Pregnant with DC3 (only about six weeks, so very early stages and all fingers crossed).

DH and I have used all the names we agree on! The only one left that we both like for a girl is Rose. But a good friend of mine - I see her once a week and our children are friends - has a Rosie. Do you think it would be too weird?

Champagneformyrealfriends Mon 22-Feb-16 22:03:30

I have this same problem but the other way around-I love Rosie, she has a Rose! Why don't you ask her?

HumbleCrumble Tue 23-Feb-16 09:38:21

Will they be very close in age or is Rosie a bit older? I think the bigger the age gap the less of an issue it is.

But if she's a good friend, I think you should just ask her. Bring it up casually, tell her you're having trouble agreeing on any other names and see what her reaction is.

swancourt Tue 23-Feb-16 10:53:50

There'll be 5.5 years between the two children, so quite a big gap.

I will definitely ask her if we are still loving this name (but after 20 weeks when hopefully we'll know the sex of the baby, or at least after the 12 week scan when fingers crossed we'll know this is definitely going ahead). But I wanted to canvass opinion on whether it's weird even to ask - I don't want to put her on the spot! I know she'll say it's absolutely fine because she's that kind of person ....

Glad the reaction wasn't one of absolute horror and name-stealing :D

mydogeatsnutstoo Tue 23-Feb-16 14:57:28

I see Rose and Rosie as quite different names, unless you are going to use Rosie as a nickname? I might run it by her though. And I am someone who generally doesn't like the thought of using the same name as a friend or vice versa.

Ellieboolou27 Tue 23-Feb-16 15:05:55

Sounds fine, my dd is Louisa and close friends dd is Eloise, of you like the name choose it smile

swancourt Tue 23-Feb-16 15:17:05

Not planning on Rosie as a nickname (I have a cousin called Rosie, too!)

I also see them as different names, even though they're not really.
Thanks all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now