Assumptions based on child's name Robert

(77 Posts)
Dogadviceneeded Thu 18-Feb-16 18:51:29

Of course I know that no one should form assumptions based on a child's (or adult's) name, but I'm sure lots of people do (even if they don't act on it). What assumptions would you make about a little boy named Robert/Rob/Robby? Or if you wouldn't make any, what assumptions do you think others might make?

Yes, I know I am being ridiculous, please humour me!

Dogadviceneeded Thu 18-Feb-16 18:52:34

PS - despite user name I'm asking in relation to a human child, not a dog!

TheWordOfBagheera Thu 18-Feb-16 18:58:19

Robert - absolutely none; it's a really nice name.

I suppose at a push I might wonder if a Robbie (who wasn't also a Robert) might have been named after a celebrity such as Robbie Williams, but I'd more likely think nothing of it at all.

Robert/Robby/Rob just aren't assumpsion-y sort of names smile

SirChenjin Thu 18-Feb-16 19:00:30

None whatsoever - just that it's a nice name, and esp love Rob

SellFridges Thu 18-Feb-16 19:01:41

I think it's out of fashion so I would assume there was a family connection. There are hundreds of nicer names IMO.

PerspicaciaTick Thu 18-Feb-16 19:02:35

I'd wonder about a Scottish background, assume the parents were fairly traditional and be predisposed to liking the lad. It's a good name.

alltouchedout Thu 18-Feb-16 19:03:07

Has good taste smile It's ds3's middle name and was almost his first.
I suppose it might suggest a preference for classic names.

AntiquityReRises Thu 18-Feb-16 19:04:56

Normal, probably named after a family member.

Bexicles Thu 18-Feb-16 19:08:19

My ds has Robert as his middle name after my df. I would assume a family name or Scottish heritage. It's a great name.

mudandmayhem01 Thu 18-Feb-16 19:08:22

Real nice lad called bobby in dds school

WhatsUpTC Thu 18-Feb-16 19:10:06

I have an Uncle Robert and it is a lovely name.
I would be predisposed to think well of a little Robert/Robbie/Rob.
I have meet a few and they have always been great smile

GerundTheBehemoth Thu 18-Feb-16 19:13:19

I'd instantly take against him because that's my awful ex's name.

I wouldn't really smile I have always thought it's a very nice name - classic and solid. And I guess all I'd assume is that you like classic, solid names.

Notthisnotthat Thu 18-Feb-16 19:14:06

I would presume some Scottish heritage, but apart from that it's a nice normal name.

BikeRunSki Thu 18-Feb-16 19:15:38

No assumptions at all, it is ageless, and could potentially belong to anyone, from any walk of life.

Myredcardigan Thu 18-Feb-16 19:18:45

None really other than the assumption that his parents went with a name they loved rather than worried it wasn't fashionable.

namechange7711 Thu 18-Feb-16 19:18:51

Robert is a good, solid name which doesn't particularly classify someone. I suppose there's a slight Scottish leaning, although not necessarily.

Because it's not particularly fashionable right now, if I met a small boy with that name I would assume his parents were sensible, unswayed by fashion etc. I'd put it in the same category as Peter, Julian and Nicholas.

monkeyfacegrace Thu 18-Feb-16 19:19:34

I've got a 7 year old Robbie

He is ace.

DickDewy Thu 18-Feb-16 19:22:32

It's a perfectly nice name.

I associate it with people I went to primary school with - to me it's a very 'born in the 70s' name, but nice nonetheless and has aged better than others.

lljkk Thu 18-Feb-16 19:44:35

Doesn't everyone have an uncle Bob? Which means it transcends every cultural subset.

SuburbanRhonda Thu 18-Feb-16 19:46:16

Got a 17-year-old Rob.

He is also ace smile

mrsnoon Thu 18-Feb-16 19:55:03

A little dull and unimaginative. Sorry. But maybe I'd think there was a family connection.
Robbie/Robby, I'd think the parents hadn't really considered that their child would grow into an adult.

Sophronia Thu 18-Feb-16 19:58:22

I think it's a great name. Handsome and underused nowadays.

MrsUnderwood Thu 18-Feb-16 20:00:44

I think it's a nice name!

Floggingmolly Thu 18-Feb-16 20:01:56

I know a 9 year old Robbie. It's fine.

OvO Thu 18-Feb-16 20:06:10

It's a great name!

But as its my DS2's name I would say that. grin

I think the worst people ever say about it is that it's boring (they are wrong of course).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now