Nelly/Nellie

(34 Posts)
msindesisive1 Wed 17-Feb-16 18:47:55

That's it really, just after general consenses on the name Nelly/Nellie thinking Nelle quite nice as nn?!

ScarletForYa Wed 17-Feb-16 18:57:40

I love it. Especially Nell.

IoraRua Wed 17-Feb-16 18:57:44

Oh I don't like. Reminds me of elephants, can't quite put my finger on why. blush
I do like elephants but not when linked to baby names...

josette Wed 17-Feb-16 19:09:05

Nell is beautiful and I think it will age well and then use Nelly as a nn if you want.

Swollenankles83 Wed 17-Feb-16 19:12:38

I know a fabulous Nellie - short for Fenella. Love it.

HirplesWithHaggis Wed 17-Feb-16 19:17:29

My granny (born 1902) was a Nellie, it was a nickname for Helen.

thebiscuitindustry Wed 17-Feb-16 19:18:10

I like Nell, but not Nellie/Nelly.

WhereYouLeftIt Wed 17-Feb-16 19:18:45

Nellie the elephant
Packed her trunk
And said goodbye to the circus.
Off she trumped
With a trumpety trump,
Trump, trump, trump.

You really want your daughter to be treated to that song every time she enters a room? Maybe not from the off, but I can guarantee during he teenaged years she would grow to HATE her name.

Nope, Not on your Nelly.

See? Too many references to the name in popular culture.

Ellieboolou27 Wed 17-Feb-16 19:19:19

My daughter is named Ellen after her grandmother, we always called grandmother Nellie and Ellen has nn nell, so..... I love it, dd is almost 4 and yet to meet another Ellen

NorksAreMessy Wed 17-Feb-16 19:20:49

I love Nellie and Nell
I had a Dutch pal called Petronella who was a Nell...very exotic!

IoraRua Wed 17-Feb-16 19:21:05

So that's why I thought of elephants whereyou - that bloody song! God I'd forgotten all about it.

cornishglos Wed 17-Feb-16 20:11:34

I love it.

villainousbroodmare Wed 17-Feb-16 21:40:44

IMO you have it the wrong way around. I'd have Nelle (or Ellen or Helen or Fenella or Elena or Eleanor or any of those elegant proper names) as the name, and Nelly/ Nellie for a nickname. Otherwise... not on your nelly!

VinceNoirLovesHowardMoon Wed 17-Feb-16 21:41:46

Nelly as a full name - no way. As a nickname it's ok, not great.

Artandco Wed 17-Feb-16 21:42:44

I love Nell

I have never heard of a song nor elephant song regarding Nellie so I doubt it's that of an issue.

CoffeeCoffeeAndLotsOfIt Wed 17-Feb-16 21:46:02

Thought of the nelly the elephant song just reading the title.

Call her Nelly if you like, but I'd name her something else (helen / Ellen)

ClashCityRocker Wed 17-Feb-16 21:47:43

Nellie the elephant here too.

Although I think Nellie or Nell works as a nickname not as a given name.

ClashCityRocker Wed 17-Feb-16 21:49:21

Saying that I have grand memories of a Nelly (male) taking me to my first punk gig.

I'm not sure why he was called nelly though. I think his real name was Steve.

EmpressOfTheVulvaCupcakes Wed 17-Feb-16 21:49:23

Agree, sorry - Nell is great as a nickname for Helena, Eleanor, Fenella etc but Nelly / Nellie definitely doesn't work as a name in its own right.

Murphyslaw21 Wed 17-Feb-16 21:53:57

To be honest my friend at school was called Nellie then one day in assembly we were told she was now to be called Kelly. She had been given nick name smelly Nellie.

My other friend called her little girl Nellie and she is 7. She is also nick named Nellie Nellie. My friend is so upset. And thinking of changing it to ellenor . Obviously unrelated friends.

UntilTheCowsComeHome Wed 17-Feb-16 23:46:14

My goddaughter is a Nellie. As she gets older it's starting to become Nell more and more.

Nellie is sweet for a little girl, Nell is lovely for a teen and adult woman IMO.

MrsMoggy Wed 17-Feb-16 23:58:07

My friend is Narelle, she's nicknamed Nell

twofalls Thu 18-Feb-16 00:31:56

My dd is Polly. Some people like whereyouleftit told me everyone would sing Miss Polly had a dolly or Polly put the kettle on to her all the time. It's never happened.

Live Nell/Nellie - would probably name her Helen or Eleanor though to give her a choice.

Shanster Thu 18-Feb-16 01:58:10

Don't do it! My name is Eleanor and all through school I was called 'smelly nelly' and regularly heard the 'Nelly the Elephant' song.

mathanxiety Thu 18-Feb-16 03:18:47

I love it. Very Dutch.
I know someone whose given name is Petronella, nn Nellie.

Nell makes me think of 'death knell'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now