Ellen, Alice or other?

(30 Posts)
Ohlalala Tue 16-Feb-16 21:34:14

Hi, My husband and I are still struggling to pick a name for our daughter (due mid March). The main criteria is that the name has to work in both English and French. So far we have narrowed it down to Ellen and Alice. Other names that we considered were Charlotte (but we thought it may be too popular what with Princess Charlotte), Clara and Claire. Any thoughts? Thanks!

NotNob Tue 16-Feb-16 21:35:50

Ellen gorgeous, also like Claire but not the others.

AppleSnapple Tue 16-Feb-16 21:35:59

Clara is my girls name if I were ever to have another (which I won't!) I love the name, it's classical and gorgeous!

Ellen also lovely.

FennyBridges Tue 16-Feb-16 21:36:34

Sarah?

DramaAlpaca Tue 16-Feb-16 21:36:43

I love Alice, but don't like Ellen.

Claire would be lovely, it must be due a revival.

thebiscuitindustry Tue 16-Feb-16 21:52:46

Clara and Claire are both nice. Clara has become quite popular, and Claire is due a comeback I think.

Quercus3 Tue 16-Feb-16 22:11:52

Ellen and Alice are both really lovely - I'd go with Ellen as it seems to be a bit rarer smile

wherehavealltheflowersgone Tue 16-Feb-16 22:17:04

Love both. Classic and beautiful.
Other English French names may be
Emily / Emilie? Colette? Coleen ? Helen / Helene?

Whocanthatbeatthishour Tue 16-Feb-16 22:24:20

Alice is beautiful and not overused.Would have been my number one for a girl.

CoodleMoodle Tue 16-Feb-16 22:31:03

I like Alice and Ellen but Alice is my favourite. It's my DD's middle name, and I was going to save it for future DDs but was worried I wouldn't have another! It's beautiful.

All of your names are pretty, though. Ellen is lovely.

susieb19 Tue 16-Feb-16 22:32:07

How about Amelie (pronounced Amm-a-lee)?

Sophronia Wed 17-Feb-16 08:54:23

Ellen is lovely and underused

ABitAsleep Wed 17-Feb-16 10:04:37

Ellen is my middle name. I like it! It's not too popular, but not too 'out-there'.

I also like;
Clara
Emmeline
Helena
Adrianna
Violet
Beatrix
Carly
Marnie
Stephanie
Natalie
Marielle

LeonoraFlorence Wed 17-Feb-16 11:45:24

I prefer Alice smile

mrsschu Wed 17-Feb-16 14:02:01

I love Ellen. It's classic and classy. I'm not a huge fan of Ellie as a nn but gives your DD some options when she's older perhaps. Alice is nice too but nothing on Ellen IMO. Not too keen on Clara plus there are lots around at the mo if that bothers you. Ellen Claire is a good combo.

Ohlalala Wed 17-Feb-16 14:05:50

Thank you everyone for your answers - these are really useful (and reassuring!). Thank you, also, for the other suggestions you made. Just for info, we are sometimes struggling with what the same name sounds like in English or French. For example, Amelie is a lovely name in English but in French, I'd associate it with a woman in her 30s. Keep the suggestions coming though. It's super useful!

Gracey79 Wed 17-Feb-16 14:25:15

Love Alice. Would worry Ellen would end up Elle/Ellie. Also like Clara haven't seen a little claire for years but a good classic name

Gracey79 Wed 17-Feb-16 14:25:35

Or esme?

magpie17 Wed 17-Feb-16 14:30:04

I love Alice and Ellen, think Alice is my favourite - both are classics but underused. Claire is really common for my age group (mid 30s) but would be very unusual for a baby and is a lovely name too.

LaurieLemons Wed 17-Feb-16 14:41:29

Ellen and Clara are my favourites

LookingForAdvice12345 Wed 17-Feb-16 14:42:17

Ellen

manicinsomniac Wed 17-Feb-16 14:44:20

I like Alice, Clara and Claire. Less keen on Ellen (though I really like Ella)

Arianne, Adele, Aimee, Celine, Eloise, Elodie, Elisabeth, Isabelle, Juliette, Louise, Madeleine, Marianne, Odette, Sophie.

We had a little girl at school for a while who was Belgian and her name was Sixtine which I thought was really cute. But the other children did find it quite amusing at first so maybe not such a good one for England.

Oddoneout63 Wed 17-Feb-16 14:50:53

I'm with mrsschuh- Ellen is very sweet for a baby; lovely for a school child; grown up for an adult! Iyswim!

Also agree she can use Ellie later if she wants & it sounds nice if you say it with a French accent. Alice doesn't sound quite right with French.

BeautyIsTruth Wed 17-Feb-16 14:52:25

Ah I was going to suggest Sylvie but I know it's quite dated in France.

How about Laura? That's pronounced the same, although a bit dated here.

I like both Ellen and Alice for what it's worth.

midsomermurderess Wed 17-Feb-16 16:27:47

Another vote for Alice here. I'm a bit surprised by how relatively underused it it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now