Naming after the famous: Uplifting inspiration or unbearable burden?

(15 Posts)
Ljevans Mon 15-Feb-16 15:29:08

So LO (no. 1 son) has an unusual (but very well known) middle name. Because Daddy has always admired this historical figure. No details, because it's done now and frankly I got naming fatigue by the end so I let him have it.

LO no.2 is on her way, and I feel like I am going to have a bigger say in her name than I did before.

A general question. I'm inclined to give her a middle name after a significant historical figure. We're both scientifically inclined, so it won't necessarily be one that is well known generally, but the reference will be there. But I'm torn between it providing a lifelong inspiration vs. condemning her to feeling she is always in someone's shadow.

Would be very interested in hearing views. Especially if you carry the name of someone historically famous.

CwtchyQ Mon 15-Feb-16 15:32:02

If I had been named after someone famous, I wouldn't feel burdened. I would be curious, probably look into them, learn something and that would be it!

I think it's nice OP, especially being that it will be someone who has achieved something.

Myredcardigan Mon 15-Feb-16 15:34:03

It depend if the name you will give her is unique to that person and only really associated with her or whether it's a more common name. You say you are scientifically minded so if it's something like Marie or Jocelyn then fine as nobody would assume the named after connection.
Plus it will be her middle name do no everyday need to explain. I think you're overthinking it.

Myredcardigan Mon 15-Feb-16 15:36:00

Although as JB-B is still very much alive then I wouldn't call her a historical figure just yet! grin

MamaLazarou Mon 15-Feb-16 15:36:37

My son's middle name is the real name of a famous musician who was known by a stage name (clunkily explained but I hope you see what I mean).

I think middle names are absolutely fine. I would never give a famous person's name as a first name to a child, though. People who choose Hendrix or Jagger or Bowie just seem a bit desperate to me: as though they wish for their child to be seen as 'cool' based on someone else's talent in case the child has none of their own.

Floggingmolly Mon 15-Feb-16 15:36:51

It'll just be her name, no matter who she shares it with. I don't get where the "uplifting inspiration" comes in? Some mild interest, maybe (or maybe not). No more than that.
And as for "unbearable burden"??? If it's a crap name, it'll be a crap name no matter who happened to have it first confused

Myredcardigan Mon 15-Feb-16 15:44:57

I think giving your child a name such as Jagger, Lennon or Beckham (I've heard all of these) is quite a burden. And just a bit naff really.

Raines100 Mon 15-Feb-16 15:55:48

I think an aspirational first name (as opposed to a surname) as a mn is fine and no different to naming a child for a family member, a Royal, or a saint. 'David' as a mn is no burden. 'Beckham' on the other hand...

Ljevans Mon 15-Feb-16 16:10:02

@Floggingmolly- lol, yes I have to agree, there are some names that are just gonna sound bad to most ears that hear them.

I guess the two ends of the spectrum I describe will be determined by personality of the child. I personally wouldn't, but take the name Amadeus Mozart. Both names are pretty much associated with the child prodigy, thanks to that film way back when. I suspect that for one child, either name could be inspirational, if they were into classical music. Equally, a child into classical music- but just reasonably so- may also hate carrying the burden of being named after a child prodigy. A life-long shadow cast by what many of his contemporaries describe as 'genius'...

I hope to not be too idiotic about it in the end but judging by most responses it looks like its unlikely to become too heavy a weight to carry. My Dad's middle name was Hereward. I spent a lot of my C of E educated childhood thinking it was Herod. Pffffffft. smile

Myredcardigan Mon 15-Feb-16 16:59:18

It seems to have been aspirational to Martina Hingis but then as I said, Martina is a perfectly normal name and she just so happened to be called after her mother's sporting hero. Would it have been a burden though had she not been sporty or indeed very successful at the same sport.

ParcelP Mon 15-Feb-16 17:58:17

Just to note as a middle name I don't think it'd be a burden but could provide an inspiration, middle names are hardly ever used so if it's not liked it can just be ignore but if it's an inspiration, great!

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Mon 15-Feb-16 19:33:45

It depends who it is. If its say Elizabeth after the queen. Then that's fine, and would be an honour. I don't doubt, but named after say a towie star. It could be seen as chavvy.

wombthereitis Thu 18-Feb-16 13:29:32

Honestly, if it's a middle name I think you can get away with whatever you like. How often do you find out someone's middle name anyway?

unicornthong Thu 18-Feb-16 15:26:17

I'm trying to guess your DS's middle name! My money's on Darwin. wink

StitchesInTime Thu 18-Feb-16 17:27:23

I think it would only be a problem being named after a famous historical figure if they shared the first name and surname.

e.g. if your surname was Curie, then naming a DD Marie might get a bit burdensome.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now