Ingmar.

(11 Posts)
Ymba Thu 21-Jan-16 13:55:40

Do you like this name? Just pondering really, I also like Ivor and other Scandinavian sounding names

BertrandRussell Thu 21-Jan-16 13:58:30

I don't like any name that means a child living in their own cultural community will have people saying "I beg your pardon?" practically every they give their name for the rest of their lives.

iciclewinter Thu 21-Jan-16 14:54:03

I quite like it.

TannhauserGate Thu 21-Jan-16 15:00:47

What about a more 'mainstream' scandi name? (Assuming you're in UK)
Erik
Linus
Thorsten
Magnus
Lars
Martin

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Fri 22-Jan-16 10:22:14

Yes.

I like it.

But I would expect Scandinavian roots somewhere...

Lizziedripping1 Fri 22-Jan-16 11:53:13

Unless you have Scandi roots or know all of Ingmar Bergman's films backwards I wouldn't bother...as it screams trying too hard

EssentialHummus Fri 22-Jan-16 11:59:41

No, it's not great IMO. Different Scandinavian name maybe?

LaPharisienne Fri 22-Jan-16 12:09:20

I don't think any name screams "trying too hard".

I like Ingmar and would just presume you liked his films. Great person to name your kid after.

MitzyLeFrouf Fri 22-Jan-16 12:10:45

Are you from a Scandinavian country yourself OP?

Because I'm afraid I would think 'pretentious' if I met a thoroughly English Ingmar Smith.

Also Ingmar Bergman's films are SO gloomy, that kind of overshadows the name.

midsomermurderess Sat 23-Jan-16 16:23:04

I am a bit puzzled by the recurrent argument that unless you have country or cultural specific connections you shouldn't use certain names. It seems that lots of people have no issue with names like Justine, Nicole, Gabriella, Genevieve. It seems to me to be a somewhat arbitrarily applied rule. Go for Ingmar, Ivor or whatever you like OP.

CrystalMcPistol Sat 23-Jan-16 16:29:27

I'd only use a 'foreign' name if it was already in well established use in this country. I'd feel like a bit of a tit calling my child Dimitri for example but would be fine with Alexander.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now