Old Names Coming Back

(23 Posts)
Missdusk Tue 19-Jan-16 09:07:25

Hi,
I've read a lot about old names making a comeback and wanted to know what people thought. My SIL gave birth on 27th December and has named her baby George which I love and think is really cute. Our little one is arriving any day now. My partner has picked middle names of Christopher and Stuart, both family names from his side so I'd like a little bit of my family in their as well but we are mostly a female family. My Great Grandfather was called Albert, I know the modern shortening of this is Albie and I also think Bertie is cute. What do people think? I really like Albie and have been mulling it over for way over a month now, I know my family would love it, I'm just wondering how friends might react to it.

cosmicglittergirl Tue 19-Jan-16 09:13:57

I think Albert, Albie for short is lovely. I've heard a few Alberts about recently, but mostly called Bertie for short.

Missdusk Tue 19-Jan-16 09:21:00

That's encouraging! My BFF is the only person other than my partner I've mentioned it too and she loves Albie but don't want to plaster it about everywhere until he's here! One of the reasons I like it as well as the family connection is that it's not too common at the moment. I'm glad you've heard of some children called Albert, I've not heard any and that's what made me a little nervous about it. There were 5 other girls in my class at school with my name so I've been hoping to avoid it for our little one.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Tue 19-Jan-16 09:22:46

I know a baby Albert nicknamed Bertie, a baby Bertie (not short for anything) and a baby Albie (not short for anything) so you may risk there being a few in your child's class. They're all under 1.

CakeFail Tue 19-Jan-16 09:31:31

Love Albert and Albie. Have heard f a few little Alberts but never shortened to Albie.

Missdusk Tue 19-Jan-16 09:36:21

Wow! I had no idea it was making that much of a comeback! That's really set my mind at ease, didn't want people to think it was too old or wierd. I hadn't heard of Albie either until recently when I was reading some articles about baby name trends for 2016 and it came up there as a modern shortening for it. It's one of the few boys names my partner has not turned his one up at si makes me happy!

cosmicglittergirl Tue 19-Jan-16 09:40:42

Here (London), it's certainly not unusual, I imagine recent years have seen its popularity go up. And like pp said, I know of two just Albies. Maybe ask people with 2/3 year olds (if its popularity bothers you, it doesn't me). It was on my DD2's name list.

Enb76 Tue 19-Jan-16 09:41:10

I have a family member called Albert, he's 6. Also, a friend named their son Albert, he's 4. The name has been back for a while. I like it. Not so unusual as to cause comment, not currently so popular that people are backing out of using it.

Whoknewitcouldbeso Tue 19-Jan-16 09:41:53

I know an Albie, I think it is short for Albert. It's a very cute name, go for it!

MyNewBearTotoro Tue 19-Jan-16 09:42:29

I know a 7 year old Albie. I think it's a lovely name and Bertie is cute too.

Missdusk Tue 19-Jan-16 09:47:25

Thanks everyone! The popularity doesn't bother me too much. I don't see there being quite as many Alberts as there were Jessicas when I was growing up even if it is on the rise haha! In fact if anything gives me confidence that he won't be bullied for having an old name or anything like that if there are a few others with the same name. I love it! And it's one of the few names I don't dislike any of the shortenings for which makes a change!

crispytruffle Tue 19-Jan-16 09:56:55

I know quite a few Albert's/Bertie's, I know lots of little George's too. I would go for it if you like it, all the old names have been making a comeback for a while now. My friend recently named her baby Ernie which I like!

nellyflora Tue 19-Jan-16 12:41:05

Albert is a great name! Go for it x

Lebkuchenlover Tue 19-Jan-16 13:32:50

We know quite a few Albies/Archies/Alfies so it's definately not unusual round here.

soundsystem Tue 19-Jan-16 17:37:58

I love Albie. I do know of 3, all around one year old (East London), so think it is on the up!

ollieplimsoles Tue 19-Jan-16 17:44:21

I know two Berties and lots of Arthurs they are definitely coming back!

pilates Tue 19-Jan-16 18:29:53

Yes, great name. Both Albie and Bertie are nice too.

BendydickCuminsnatch Tue 19-Jan-16 18:47:48

I know an Albert nn Bertie. Think it's cute!

EverySecondCounts Tue 19-Jan-16 19:00:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GracieGraives Tue 19-Jan-16 19:21:46

I love Albert nn albie
Go for it

Missdusk Tue 19-Jan-16 21:04:00

I think we will.

We dont have or know of any Albert's, Albie's or Bertie's where we are, in fact the friend i mentioned it to today who has a 2 year old turned her nose up at it as an "odd" or "old fashioned" name. No longer care its obviously on the rise and I think its cute. It has family ties, meaning to me and is the name ive stuck with the longest, I just keep coming back to it

Shemozzle Wed 20-Jan-16 11:13:00

I know of a few Alby's too, not short for Albert. Have you checked out dark greener names website to check popularity? You'll probably be surprised.

RedToothBrush Wed 20-Jan-16 11:43:00

The 2014 stats are:

Albert 84th 778 babies
Albie 117th 534 babies
Bertie 328th 139 babies

So popular enough to not be thought of as odd. None of them have yet peaked so are on trend. I would not be surprised if Albert or Albie go top 50 in the next 3 or 4 years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now