Using ds1s middle name for ds3

(12 Posts)
zippyswife Mon 18-Jan-16 16:47:55

Apologies if this has been done.

Ds1 was given my late dads first name as his middle name. The name is Michael.

Ds2 came along and we deliberated on using Michael as his first name. We decided against this.

Dc3 is due imminently and we don't have a name. I am back to considering the name Michael. Not particularly to mark my dad but because I love the name. Classic and strong but not overused.

But can I use it again? The other names on my shortlist for boys are:

Jude (dh doesn't like this though)
Patrick (again dh not keen)
Rex
Fergus/Gus
Elliott
Luke

cocacola1006 Mon 18-Jan-16 16:52:26

I think if it was for your dad it would be nice.
As a name on its own it's nice.
But when the 3rd was older it might be a bit 'you couldn't come up with a new name for me so you re-used one you had already used for my brother' and it's not to honour my grandad either.
On your other names I like Patrick, Elliott and Luke. smile

SpendSpendSpend Mon 18-Jan-16 16:52:32

What about Mikey which is a shortened version of Michael.

I think i would chose something different for a new baby rather than choose a name his sibling already has

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 18-Jan-16 16:52:38

We so nearly did this, but didn't. I sort of regret it, so I'd say use it if you love it.

Thetruthfairy Tue 19-Jan-16 13:31:49

Totally fine. I would use it x

Potkettleblack2 Tue 19-Jan-16 13:36:43

I think it's absolutely fine to use

RedToothBrush Tue 19-Jan-16 14:59:15

A third child will have hand me downs of everything.

Give them one thing that is theirs rather than their brother's. A name. Not a hand me down name.

babyblabber Tue 19-Jan-16 15:02:16

Totally fine.

zippyswife Tue 19-Jan-16 15:54:25

I think the general consensus seems to be that it's fine (or is that just what I want to hear?!). So think I'll add Michael as a contender

Dolallytats Tue 19-Jan-16 17:21:39

My DC3 has DC1's middle name as her first name so I say go for it. Also me and my sisters all share either first or middle names in some way or another and it has never crossed our minds as odd!!

bittapitta Wed 20-Jan-16 09:22:10

I don't think it's fine, I agree with redtoothbrush - they will know it's your dc1 middle name. Give him his own name. Never give a middle name you might want to use as a first name in future, lesson for others!

TeenAndTween Thu 21-Jan-16 12:56:12

Not fine.

David, James, Robert, John, Thomas, Mark, Stephen
all similar in feel to Michael imo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now