Huckleberry or Sprocket? (photo included....)

(34 Posts)
BlackbirdSingsInTheDeadOfNight Sun 17-Jan-16 08:41:25

So we haven't chosen our pup yet and don't mind if it's a boy or girl, but will be going ahead in the next couple of weeks. It will definitely be a Labrador.

Thoughts on Huckleberry and Sprocket please? Do they work well for both boys and girls or are they more 'boy' names? (I love Sprocket, named after the dog in Fraggle Rock, but Huckleberry is a close contender also.) DS2 is insistent on naming the poor thing Dogzilla! confused

Any other suggestions? We have two boys (humans, not dogs!) so never used our girl names - think very traditional, classic names. But DH doesn't really want a dog named Alice!

RJnomore1 Sun 17-Jan-16 08:42:31

Sprocket is more of a spaniel. Huck is good.

StitchesInTime Sun 17-Jan-16 08:43:02

I quite like Dogzilla.

LastOneDancing Sun 17-Jan-16 08:44:03

I vote Dogzilla.

iamEarthymama Sun 17-Jan-16 08:45:35

Huckleberry!
I love that name!

Babymouse Sun 17-Jan-16 08:45:53

Huckleberry shortened to Huck

YouBastardSockBalls Sun 17-Jan-16 08:46:49

Dogzilla!

SoupDragon Sun 17-Jan-16 08:48:07

I saw this in active conversations and thought "this had better be for a bloody dog!"

I think Huckleberry, although I can't imagine hollering this across a park.

Both say boy to me.

Abraid2 Sun 17-Jan-16 08:49:42

Huckleberry is a boy's name.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 17-Jan-16 08:53:40

Huckleberry is definitely a boy. You can't use that. And Huck definitely sounds masculine.

And yes Sprocket is a Spaniel, not a Lab!

I say Dora. smile

Ellentheegret Sun 17-Jan-16 10:21:48

I reckon 2 syllables works best for calling purposes.

Sprocket could work on a golden boy lab, I actually agree with pp who suggested Dora - for a chocolate coloured girl at least.

BlackbirdSingsInTheDeadOfNight Sun 17-Jan-16 10:31:55

I saw this in active conversations and thought "this had better be for a bloody dog!"

grin yes, don't worry, we're not mean enough to consider naming our (non-existent) DS3 Sprocket! grin

Thanks for your help, kind people. We haven't chosen yet whether to have a boy or girl pup but it might have to a boy for the name! DH was insistent that Sprocket and Huckleberry could both work for both boys and girls, however you all seem to agree with me that they are boys' names.

DS2 will be most delighted with the apparent popularity of Dogzilla! I may accidentally forget to show him this thread

Dora is a lovely suggestion for a girl. Interesting point about Sprocket being a spaniel's name! Hmm, decisions decisions....

iciclewinter Sun 17-Jan-16 12:28:01

Sprocket, for either a male or female.

Jessbow Sun 17-Jan-16 13:11:22

Huckleberry is fine, until you end up yelling a shortened version across a field- It could sound ...well, leave that to your interpretation

Poppy would be nice for a bitch
friends dog is called Caleb
My dog never gets called by his name (Chip) - usually gets called Shortie/ short shanks or sometimes Fish.......

BlackbirdSingsInTheDeadOfNight Sun 17-Jan-16 14:46:14

Hmm that's a good point Jessbow. Yes Poppy is nice for a girl, had also thought of Daisy.

Sprocket might just have to do, but it's useful to have the suggestions / thoughts coming in - thanks everyone!

ButtonMoon88 Sun 17-Jan-16 14:49:04

Sprocket smile my beautiful dog (died last Christmas) was called sprocket and he is greatly missed X

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Sun 17-Jan-16 16:18:04

Sprocket!

And if you get a second one, ratchet!

BlackbirdSingsInTheDeadOfNight Sun 17-Jan-16 16:43:39

ButtonMoon Sorry to hear about your Sprocket. flowers

WhyCan'tI Ratchet! grin But I take your point! grin

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sun 17-Jan-16 17:11:30

Gorgeous puppies. Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. The one in the middle looks like he/she is posing for the camera. grin
Huckleberry is nice nn Huck for a boy.
For a girl. Rosie, Ellie, Katie, Amy, Jess,

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sun 17-Jan-16 17:12:23

Buttonflowers

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sun 17-Jan-16 17:13:12

Alice is also a good name,

BikeRunSki Sun 17-Jan-16 17:15:14

I know a lab called Alice 😀

TensionWheelsCoolHeels Sun 17-Jan-16 17:21:03

I know lots of labs with weird names - we currently have an 8 wk old border waiting for a permanent home called York. Just doesn't suit at all. Now, bouncer would be perfect for him cos that's how he gets about. Last one was called Liz confused & before that Christie. We've had a Megan & a Zula. More recent borders were quest & mojo. Incidentally Yorks parents were called Ginny & Martin (!).

Of all the pups we've had I think Zula & Mojo are my favs.

Scarletforya Sun 17-Jan-16 17:46:11

Huckleberry! Love it!

BlackbirdSingsInTheDeadOfNight Sun 17-Jan-16 19:27:07

Ooh thanks for the excellent extra suggestions! Next door's dog is called Jess, though we do love the name. Rosie is another good one. Mojo I absolutely love!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now