Avril

(16 Posts)
Remembrall Sat 16-Jan-16 20:00:07

I have a big, long thread going on at the minute if you need any more info on my taste:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/baby_names/2541451-Girls-list-inspired-by-the-out-there-threads-atm

But DH has suggested Avril out of the blue this evening, and I really like it.

Any thoughts?

She will probably be Avril Vivienne G if we use it, but middle name is flexible too.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sat 16-Jan-16 20:35:24

Its a nice name but i dont like it. It's a bit harsh sounding. But its your baby as long as you like it. That's all that matters. I love Vivienne, though

Remembrall Sat 16-Jan-16 20:39:40

Boys name will either be Laurence Rocco or Rocco Laurence.

Other top girls name is Vera Vivienne.

squoosh Sat 16-Jan-16 21:20:27

I presume you're not Irish OP? It's the antithesis of 'out there' in Ireland. To me Avril is a very sensible name given to very sensible people.

villainousbroodmare Sat 16-Jan-16 21:38:21

I like Avril a lot.
I don't like Vera nearly as much Vera - reminds me of "our Vera" in Coronation St and don't think it goes with Vivienne.
Much prefer Laurence to Rocco.

Remembrall Sat 16-Jan-16 22:15:30

I'm not Irish, no.

Vera is still the fave. I think Vera Vivienne go excellently.

villainousbroodmare Sat 16-Jan-16 22:36:07

I do like the letter V, very vivacious! grin

Sophronia Sat 16-Jan-16 23:07:15

Avril is ok, but I really like Vera Vivienne. Laurence Rocco is nice for a boy.

DontKillMyVibe Sun 17-Jan-16 10:54:39

i think Avril is a real fuddy duddy old fashioned name tbh and not in a good way. It's one of the few names that I really don't like!

mathanxiety Sun 17-Jan-16 23:27:48

I prefer Vera by a long shot.

Avril is a very 60s-70s name in Ireland. I knew a huge number of them.
'a real fuddy duddy old fashioned name tbh and not in a good way' --
^^this x 1000.

iciclewinter Sun 17-Jan-16 23:30:27

I prefer many of the names on your other thread, and wouldn't go for so many Vs. If it's between the two I'd pick Vera.

whatdoIget Sun 17-Jan-16 23:31:00

Would you consider Vivienne as the first name op?

Remembrall Mon 18-Jan-16 07:22:55

Vivienne is too flowery for me to use as the first name.

And there is no such thing as too many Vs!

Thanks all, Avril is out. I still think it is really cool, but others have very strong associations based on culture, and I can't expect DD to spend her life without meeting Irish people.

Lebkuchenlover Mon 18-Jan-16 15:08:04

Why not the English version, April?

For a boy I prefer Rocco as Laurence is a girls name imo, the female version of Laurent.

Thetruthfairy Tue 19-Jan-16 13:40:15

Vera is gorgeous x

Remembrall Tue 19-Jan-16 14:08:24

April is awful! Sorry, nothing like my taste at all.

Also Wiki is telling me this:

Laurence is an English and French given name. The English masculine name originates from a French form of the Latin Laurentius, a name meaning "man from Laurentum". It is possible, although unlikely, that the name of Laurentum is derived from the Latin laurus ("laurel").[1]

The French feminine name is a form of the masculine Laurent, which is derived from the Latin name.[2]

It is female in France, yes. But not in England. And I am English, living in England, where it is very much male.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now