Should the first name start with an "E"

(13 Posts)
Emmab515 Sun 10-Jan-16 08:35:04

Morning, we are expecting in 6ish weeks and do not know the sex. We have a Daughter and Son already and both of their first names start with an "E" their names are also names of someone in our family (great grandparents names)

We are really struggling to come up with a name for this baby, not sure if we should stick to a first name starting with "E" however we can't agree on any or try and find a name within the family that we can agree on (to follow the pattern of a family name)

Or we we totally overthinking it and should just pick a name we like and not worry that it's not the same as the previous 2 children?!?! What would you do?

JAZA Sun 10-Jan-16 08:36:35

If there isn't a name you like that begins with an e, then I wouldn't bother, but if there's a name you like, I would stick with it - but that's just me!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 10-Jan-16 08:52:23

No, I would use a different initial.

StompyFreckles Sun 10-Jan-16 08:53:44

I have two dc with names beginning with the same letter (as we just liked those names) and 1 dc with name beginning with a different letter - I would just choose a name you like/love and not worry about the initial letter.

mrsmugoo Sun 10-Jan-16 09:00:42

I have the opposite problem - me, my DH and our DS all have E names (co-incidental) we are expecting a DD and love one name that begins with an E but we don't want everyone to think we're the flipping Duggars or Kardashians!

Yika Sun 10-Jan-16 09:04:30

Pick a name you like totally ignoring the E or not E issue. Most likely would be better without the initial E but if there's one you really like then go for it.

MrsHathaway Sun 10-Jan-16 12:33:03

Hmm. I wouldn't have used E again the second time unless I was going to use E every time.

If you're stopping at 3 then I'd use E. If you might have more, choose anything.

I over think things though, and I have a friend whose two older siblings have matching initials (she is R and they are M) and she still in her thirties feels resentful about it.

Emmab515 Sun 10-Jan-16 12:55:07

Thank you for your opinions.... I think that's the thing MrsHathaway I don't want the child to wonder why they were not named with the same letter as its siblings! This little one was a nice "holiday surprise" and we do not plan to have any more (or anymore surprises! Lol) oh well a few more weeks to decide.

Thanks again everyone x

StompyFreckles Sun 10-Jan-16 18:32:02

I know at least 3 families (plus mine) that have two siblings starting with one letter and a 3rd that isn't - doesn't cause any problems - I wouldn't worry about it!

Eastpoint Sun 10-Jan-16 18:42:48

Why don't you use a different letter so post etc are clear? At the moment you have a mr e xxx and a ms e xxx. If you give your third child the same initial they'll never know whose post is whose. Also although they are all children of the same parents they are each individuals, not a range of cars which need branding for marketing purposes.

Nospringflower Sun 10-Jan-16 23:43:52

I have a friend in her 50s whose sisters both have the same initial and she doesn't and she said when she was younger she always felt left out. I'd go for E.

Penguito Sun 10-Jan-16 23:47:52

I'd go for another E

BackforGood Sun 10-Jan-16 23:54:33

I'd avoid an E purposefully. It's going to get confusing in your house when they get older. That said, I'd not have used the same letter for a 2nd sibling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now