Too similar? Kirsten and Caitlyn

(15 Posts)
Fretful Sat 09-Jan-16 00:42:16

We're shortly going to welcome DC3 to the world and, if it's a girl, one of the few names DH and I both like is Caitlyn. Our eldest, however, is Kirsten - are they too similar?

Lucked Sat 09-Jan-16 00:57:12

Yes IMO too similar.

Fridgedooropen Sat 09-Jan-16 00:59:32

Sorry, I agree they're too similar. What are the others you both like?

MadFestiveGnome Sat 09-Jan-16 02:47:18

Possibly not if she would be known by Cait?

MadFestiveGnome Sat 09-Jan-16 02:47:23

Possibly not if she would be known by Cait?

BoxofSnails Sat 09-Jan-16 02:51:04

Yes I think they are. They are both lovely names though. What else is on the list?

ChipsandGuac Sat 09-Jan-16 03:00:14

No, I think they're far enough away. I know 2 separate Kristen/Kirsten/Caitlin sisters. But I'm in the US where it's probably more normal.

KoalaDownUnder Sat 09-Jan-16 04:46:09

I find them too similar.

I also much prefer Kirsten (very pretty) to Caitlyn. I think you can do better!

Fretful Sat 09-Jan-16 05:13:32

As I thought - thanks for your input, though!

We're struggling to agree this time round. Other options are Edith, Madeleine, Iona, Freya, Erin.

KoalaDownUnder Sat 09-Jan-16 06:53:52

Love Madeleine and Iona.

How about:

Imelda
Esther
Elspeth
Lillian
Dahlia
Delilah
Anja

BoxofSnails Sat 09-Jan-16 10:34:51

Love Freya (biased!) and like all of the rest of your list - we must have the same taste in names. What's your DD2 called if you don't mind saying?

Suggestions (this is where you say no, we don't have the same taste at all!)
Eliza (beth)
Layla, Laura, Laurel
Elodie
Alice
Molly
Emily

Fretful Sat 09-Jan-16 15:17:57

Thank you, Koala and Boxof. I think Madeleine is probably my favourite at the moment. I did really like Eilidh and Eleanor (Nell) but DH vetoed them straight away sad.

Anyway, I do really like all of your suggestions, but a lot of them have significance in other ways which means we couldn't use them. Definitely seem to have the same tastes though!

nextusername Sat 09-Jan-16 16:06:04

I don't think they are too similar. Of your other ideas I like Edith and Iona the best.

Sgoinneal Sun 10-Jan-16 18:21:03

Like Eilidh, Freya, Edith and the suggestion of Esther. Would Eilish be a compromise with DH?

Here's a few I think 'go' with Kirsten (lovely name) - it goes with a lot of different styles I think.

Clara
Ciara
Ellen/Helen (you could use Nell!)
Mirren
Martha
Maeve
Olive
Heather
Iris
Corinne
Juliet

ButterflyOfFreedom Mon 11-Jan-16 04:19:20

I love Kirsten and Caitlyn but yes, too similar. Both were on our short list along with:
Robyn
Anna
Thea
Lauren
Megan
Sophie
Bethan
Nicole

Love Freya too - ooh and Scarlet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now