Alexander Jude or Rory Alexander? (or...?)

(21 Posts)
LittleMouseontheDairy Thu 07-Jan-16 13:24:47

Hi, I'm expecting DS2 in March and have been struggling with boys names. One of the first names I mentioned to my DH as liking was Alexander, and he said 'I like that too!' and I thought we were going to have an easy time of it, with loads of names we liked in common. It's not that we have wildly differing taste or anything but as it happens we just don't seem to have much of a list of options! I know we don't need many, and we're basically going to see if either Alexander or Rory seems right at the time. If not I guess we're back to the drawing board... (others on the limited short list include Edward, Joel, Tristram/ Tristan, Joshua, Joseph but I'm not sure we'd actually use any of those if it came to it. Edward is probably the strongest contender).

I'm just curious to know which of those choices get more 'yay's really... And I'm a bit concered that Rory won't go so well with the surname (begins with A and rhymes with 'lady').

The 'Jude' as 2nd name option for Alexander is in no way set in stone BTW, I partly put it there just as I don't think Alexander Rory flows as well as Rory Alexander. If that makes sense...

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 07-Jan-16 13:26:42

I love Rory Alexander.

From your other names I like Joel and Joseph.

xmasseason Thu 07-Jan-16 13:38:14

Alexander is a great name and Jude would be fine as middle name. I like Edward, Tristan, Joshua and Joseph too.

Or how about Alexander Jacob, Alexander Charles, Alexander Luke?

Sorry but I don't like Rory.

Sophronia Thu 07-Jan-16 14:00:07

I like Alexander but not Rory. Alexander Jude is nice.

LittleMouseontheDairy Thu 07-Jan-16 14:08:33

Alexander just pipping it at the moment then... grin

xmasseason thanks for the MN suggestions, I like Alexander Jacob... (and Luke was actually on my shortlist and came off it so it was a good idea).

Viviennemary Thu 07-Jan-16 14:13:10

I like Alexander. It's a good name. Not keen on Jude at all. Rory - not sure about this one. I think it will get dated to a certain era.

CormoranStrike Thu 07-Jan-16 19:37:26

Rory Alexander is perfect, go with that.

ashesandfire Thu 07-Jan-16 19:42:46

Love Alexander Jude! I also think Alexander Tristan founds fab.
I like Rory too but I like Alexander more.

rainbowstardrops Thu 07-Jan-16 19:44:20

I prefer Jude Alexander. Really don't like Rory.
Reminds me too much of a kid's programme - Rory, Rory tell us a story!

chrisrobin Thu 07-Jan-16 19:56:28

I like Rory Alexander

DansonslaCapucine Thu 07-Jan-16 19:59:00

Much prefer Alexander Jude. AJ are pretty cool initials.

magpie17 Thu 07-Jan-16 20:23:54

I can't stand the name Jude (just my opinion) but love Alexander so I would go with Alexander Rory

Unless your surname is Smith-Evans obvs...

magpie17 Thu 07-Jan-16 20:24:31

Sorry, see your surname begins with A!

LittleMouseontheDairy Thu 07-Jan-16 21:29:16

Ha - yes lucky it starts with an A magpie grin

I'm in the bath and can't quite count on my fingers plus hold phone but it seems the yays for Alexander are trumping Rory.

My mum isn't keen on Alexander (annoyingly) and today suggested Ivo. Which is nice but not with DS1 called Leo hmm

Thank you all for your help!

Pigeonpost Thu 07-Jan-16 22:11:11

Love Rory (I have one). I think it's a good solid name which won't date. But then you could say the same about Alexander. I prefer the nn Alec instead of Alex though.

JenniferAnistonsHair Thu 07-Jan-16 23:14:12

I love Alexander. Not a fan of Jude or Rory.

I like Alexander Joel or Alexander Joseph. Although, if pushed, I think I actually prefer Edward over Alexander...

autumnmoon Fri 08-Jan-16 11:21:43

I like Alexander Jude or (better still!) Jude Alexander

I always think of how hard some children may find it to say Rory but it is a perfectly nice name!

LittleMouseontheDairy Fri 08-Jan-16 12:02:42

Maybe Alexander Edward is an idea? Although I do like some of the suggestions of using Alexander with Joel/ Joseph/ Jacob (I seem to like 'J' names..)

What do people think of Julius?

Also, I've liked the idea of Sasha as a NN but am a bit wary, am I right to be? And is Xan an accepted NN? (which I prefer to Xander) although I expect we'd really use Alex/ Alec (or even Sandy).

MrsCaecilius Fri 08-Jan-16 14:02:22

Rory Alexander is brilliant. Love it.

Otherwise, Tristan Alexander sounds good to my ear too?

JenniferAnistonsHair Sat 09-Jan-16 08:52:35

Yes, Alexander Edward sounds good...as does Edward Alexander.

Not sure about Julius.

Nickname wise, use whatever you like when he's a baby, then people will follow suit I think.

frazzledmum2016 Sat 09-Jan-16 09:42:51

Another vote for Alexander Edward - love it. Classic and timeless.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now