Can I use their surname?

(7 Posts)
CumbriaMum91 Mon 04-Jan-16 23:38:34

Basically I've fallen in love with a name, to prevent judgement on it I'll say "Jackson" (it's not Jackson).

Thing is my OH's extended family's second name turns out to be Jackson (grandma, aunt, uncle). It's not his parents or siblings but he is close to his extended family.

Is that too weird? Should we ask for permission in your opinion if we want to use it or will they be flattered maybe....

HeffalumpTrap Mon 04-Jan-16 23:46:54

They'll probably love it!

xmasseason Tue 05-Jan-16 08:53:23

Not weird at all, the family link would be nice.

Junosmum Tue 05-Jan-16 08:56:40

My husband wanted to do similar. He liked "Jackson" (not Jackson) but it is my mums maiden name and my aunty and cousins surnames and I felt strange about it. But my mum was happy for us to use it when mention to her.

We went with a different name in the end as I felt funny about it despite liking the name.

Groovee Tue 05-Jan-16 09:07:28

We didn't realise when we chose DS's name that it was the name of dh 's great great great grandad who was adopted and got our current surname. MIL was quite shaken but once she calmed down she was fine . FIL is one of many and all the aunties asked if we knew the connection when we chose the name.

Doublebubblebubble Tue 05-Jan-16 09:15:19

Yeah of course I agree with pp they'll likely be flattered x

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Tue 05-Jan-16 15:14:34

I would ask. Not for permission, but for their opinion.

Be honest... We were talking about names and I mentioned liking Jackson. Dd mentioned it was your family name. Would it bother you if we called the baby Jackson?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now