Need boys names... inspire me!

(11 Posts)
hawaiibaby Mon 04-Jan-16 20:52:32

I'm 29w, we don't know what sex of baby is. We have a Samuel James (Sam) and they were the only 2 names we both loved, but we decided to use both in case we couldn't have any more DCs.

We seem to on the whole have different taste in boys names, I do like a lot of classic ones - obviously with a Sam - but also like Leo and Niall as examples which DH sees as too 'out there' confused

The only names we both currently like are Daniel (rhymes with Samuel!), Albie (neither of us are sure it works with Samuel, especially as we wouldn't want to use the full Albert) and Noah which is our favourite but we're a little put off by due to major popularity.

Think it will end up Noah by default if we don't find another. I perhaps shouldn't care it is so popular as we're not looking for an unusual name (I have an unusual name and hated it growing up), yet ideally, I would prefer it if there weren't a lot of them in his school / groups etc.

Other potentials that don't rate as highly atm: Joseph, Joshua, Harry, Evan, Ethan

Does anyone have suggestions of ones that might work for us both based on the above? TIA flowers

DancingDuck Mon 04-Jan-16 21:08:04

You seem to like biblical names. How about Gabriel, Rafael, Ezra, Elijah?Eli, Saul, Isaac/Izaak?

I think Sam and Albie sound fine together but am not sure about giving someone a cute nickname instead of a whole name.

How about other classic names like William, George, Alexander. Edward is a great name (Eddie, Ted, Ned.)

Luc28 Mon 04-Jan-16 21:12:29

We had Oliver James and Samuel James as options for our son. We narrowed ours down to see which worked best with our surname and in the end and lots of deliberation went with Oliver James for the first boy, if we have another boy it will be Samuel James definitely!

Luc28 Mon 04-Jan-16 21:15:06

Daniels also a lovely name! smile

MouldyPeach Mon 04-Jan-16 21:18:45

Noel is a soundalike and less popular alternative to Noah

romanrainsalot Mon 04-Jan-16 21:22:20

Gabriel
Zachary
Thomas
Alex

hawaiibaby Mon 04-Jan-16 21:22:47

Thanks, some good ideas here.

Luc28 I really like Oliver, but it's the name of our neighbour's cat who visits daily! Part of me thinks it's silly to not use it (especially if he kicks the bucket) but another part of me thinks I'll find it too weird calling him 'after' a cat!! We must have similar taste though!

Noel is a good idea - I really like it and will run past DH.

Yes am also not sure about Albie because it's a bit of a nn, especially when we have a DS with a full then shortened name, feels a bit odd and potentially unfair! Neither of us like Albert though and think we need to like and want to give him the whole name if that makes sense.

Luc28 Mon 04-Jan-16 21:29:56

Lol ... I get what you mean about the cat!! The only other we thought of was Sebastien but it's a love it or hate it kind of name! Xx

Artandco Mon 04-Jan-16 21:31:48

Alvin
Darius
Edwin
Benedict (Ben)
Timothy (timon/ Tim)

Timothy Daniel works well

LovelyBranches Tue 05-Jan-16 00:09:32

The most recent boys names I've heard all seem to fit here. They are

Reuben
Theo
Carter
Cooper
Daniel
Keir

Horseshoe1 Tue 05-Jan-16 07:01:19

Finn
Zach
Max
Ben
Gus
Nate
Luke
Luca / Lucas
Peter
Rory
Rafe
Charlie
Freddie
Alex
Robert
Louis / Lewis

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now