Decided on Kate- middle name Bryony?

(29 Posts)
spring1bee Mon 04-Jan-16 19:54:40

DH and I have decided DD will definitely be Kate.

I really love Bryony as a mn but not sure it flows too well. Surname starts with an S- 4 syllables and one of the lead actors in The Vampire Diaries.

I love Lana too but Kate Lana doesn't go well at all- perhaps Kate Alana?

Any suggestions welcome smile

ITRESVG Mon 04-Jan-16 19:58:52

i agree, i am not sure kate bryony flows very well, i always think it's hard with a 1 syllable first name, so i suggest a 4 syllable middle name... kate alana goes well smile

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Mon 04-Jan-16 20:00:56

Bryony Kate goes better.

Sunshine511 Mon 04-Jan-16 20:03:13

I also don't think Bryony works.

Would you consider Katherine as a full name? You may find more middle names work well with Katherine than with Kate. She could still be known as Kate but when she gives her full name, it would flow better. Bryony even sounds much better after Katherine.

Kate Elizabeth instantly popped into my head though.

Hope this helps x

MajesticWhine Mon 04-Jan-16 20:18:09

Elana / Alannah springs to mind
Any longer three or four syllables
Arabella, Maria?
Elizabeth works well as pp suggested.
Bryony doesn't work too well.

Snowball789 Mon 04-Jan-16 20:36:26

My wonderful, beautiful aunt is called Kate Elizabeth so I am biased! But I do like Bryony Kate. Bryony is such a lovely name and I haven't met one since I was at primary school. Katie Bryony flows a bit better. But if you love Kate as a first name then Kate Elizabeth or Kate Alana.

hawaiibaby Mon 04-Jan-16 20:40:29

I think Bryony sounds fine - I think we can over-think - I would use what you love (so long as it doesn't rhyme or really sound strange!) Kate Bryony works, and it isn't that often she'll be using Kate Bryony Surname out loud altogether - it doesn't need to be an absolute perfect fit.

Both lovely names BTW!

xmasseason Mon 04-Jan-16 20:41:07

Kate Alana goes well.

spring1bee Tue 05-Jan-16 01:05:05

thanks everyone smile I do like Kate Elizabeth although that's identical to The DOC! (not that it bothers me).

Neither DH or I are really that fond of Katherine so she will definitely be "just Kate". I think you're right hawaiibaby about over thinking things. I do love Alana too though..hmm maybe we'll wait until she's here and see what fits.

Newtoallthis81 Tue 05-Jan-16 01:26:35

As a fellow Kate, I'm throwing my middle name into the ring... Amanda? I'll be honest about the fact that I've never loved it, but hey, you might! always loved my first name though, great choice! x

TheDowagerCuntess Tue 05-Jan-16 07:01:22

Kate Bryony is absolutely fine. There is nothing wrong with the flow.

Surely it makes far more sense to choose names you both actually really like, in the order you like them, as opposed to getting the rhythm, of all things, right?

First and middle names are rarely said allowed -- 99% of them time they're presented together, it's written down.

spring1bee Tue 05-Jan-16 16:28:57

I think you're right TheDowagerCuntess (fab name by the way). I really do love Bryony.

Newtoallthis81 Kate Amanda sounds lovely but my sister is Clare Amanda so think its a bit too similar. Can I ask do you get any nicknames? I like nn's and pet names but like others have said there isn't much to work with with Kate

Newtoallthis81 Tue 05-Jan-16 16:44:01

No, always just been Kate. I liked to be called Katy when I was little but I hate it now! My mum made the executive decision to go with Kate other Katie as as thought I wouldn't like Katie as a grown up and she was right
I don't think a lack of a nickname is a problem as the name is short anyway!

Newtoallthis81 Tue 05-Jan-16 16:49:23

Occasionally get called Bob but that's a whole other story....However, does show that nicknames/pet names don't have to stem from the given name and maybe your little one can be Kate-Bob too??? smile

Buttercup27 Tue 05-Jan-16 16:51:31

I think Katie Bryony sounds better than just Kate. Although really like Bryony Kate.

TheDowagerCuntess Tue 05-Jan-16 19:51:06

Don't go with Katie - Kate is immeasurably better. smile

WhispersOfWickedness Tue 05-Jan-16 20:04:44

I am a Kate, excellent choice, I love my name grin My middle name is Anne, if that helps wink
I do agree with the pp who said that actually, the flow isn't particularly important with middle names because they are used so infrequently, I have close friends who don't know my middle name.

WhispersOfWickedness Tue 05-Jan-16 20:06:52

Oh, and wrt nicknames, my parents called me Katy when I was little, but it has never felt like 'me' and I don't particularly like it, I don't really think nicknames are necessary (both my DC have short names which can't really be turned into nicknames).

Wafflenose Tue 05-Jan-16 20:59:39

I think either middle name is fine. It's not often we get addressed by our full name in any case.

My beautiful DD is Kate Alexandra. Just another suggestion!

SoWhite Tue 05-Jan-16 21:18:43

Kate Elora!

Well done on picking Kate btw - so much classier than Katie.

spring1bee Wed 06-Jan-16 11:52:20

oh wow Elora is beautiful! Really really like that

Whisper I do like Katy too. I like nn's but guess I'll just see what happens as nn's are rarely planned. I was at school with a Kate Isabelle and everyone called her KiKi which was cute.

Buttercup I like Bryony Kate too but DH doesn't like Bryony as much as Kate so I'm happy to compromise with a mn instead smile

CharmingChampignon Wed 06-Jan-16 19:27:06

I know a Kate called Bob too NewAll!

Newtoallthis81 Wed 06-Jan-16 19:50:47

Haha charming...are you my sister?!

TheDowagerCuntess Thu 07-Jan-16 00:13:46

Blackadder has a lot to answer for. grin

Newtoallthis81 Thu 07-Jan-16 02:21:37

Dowager-100%! That's where it all started for us! My sister is stored as Bob on my phone and when my parents refer to her by her actual name because they let the joke go years ago, it sounds weird and wrong!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now