Imogen, Matilda or Elodie

(22 Posts)
Daffydil Mon 04-Jan-16 09:23:24

Current top three for a girl. And I can't decide which!

Any thoughts?

Sunshine511 Mon 04-Jan-16 09:27:48

All three are lovely. Imogen is probably my favourite smile although I think Elodie is by far the least popular so if you go with Elodie, they shouldn't bump into many others with the same name smile x

xmasseason Mon 04-Jan-16 09:35:56

Imogen

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Mon 04-Jan-16 09:45:48

Imogen. Immy is cute!

Matilda is ott...

Elodie sounds like you can't say 'melody'

MrsCaecilius Mon 04-Jan-16 10:09:20

Imogen is my all time favourite name!

Matilda is over used at the moment, IMHO.

helloelo Mon 04-Jan-16 10:16:33

You will find many, many 30-35yo Elodie in France. It's never made a come back though, although 80's names like that are popular amongst hipsters.
I have to introduce myself as "melody without the m" or people don't get it, and then I have to explain the ie at the end, and then I have to explain my origins, and then I have to excuse myself... Very unbritish smile
But everybody I've met commented on how pretty it is.

Sofiria Mon 04-Jan-16 11:45:53

Matilda. It's one of my favourite girls' names.

Sophronia Mon 04-Jan-16 12:33:09

Matilda

AugustRose Mon 04-Jan-16 12:50:26

We have an Imogen and Matilda was first choice had DS2 been a girl.

Elodie is nice but a bit too close to Melody I think.

starkers1 Mon 04-Jan-16 14:35:28

Matilda is lovely. Not Imogen, boring, twee and every one I've known has been very catty!

starkers1 Mon 04-Jan-16 14:36:32

Also do not think Immy is a "cute" nn but a sickly sweet, very grating one. Just no!

momb Mon 04-Jan-16 14:39:20

One of my DDs goes to school with an Elodie and she isn't a nice girl at all. Thus it isn't a name I would choose but this should not be a reason fro you to discount it.

As for Imogen and Matilda, there are a Mog and a Tilly in my family already.

Bellejournee Mon 04-Jan-16 14:48:14

Elodie is on our list, with DeeDee as a nn. Love it!

Sherlockmaystealyourpug Mon 04-Jan-16 17:58:37

Imogen

Quietattheback Mon 04-Jan-16 18:07:38

Elodie for me with Matilda as runner up.

Imogen seems very popular at the moment although I have never liked it as it seems so fuddy duddy to my ear, (DN is an Imogenbut would never admit that to DB and Sil).

looki Mon 04-Jan-16 19:48:30

Matilda and Imogen were both on my list. I ended up going with Matilda as in theory I like the name Imogen but I'm unsure as to whether I actually really like it. It is hard to explain, where I am it is not common but it conjures up images of librarians (not that there is anything wrong with librarians). I think its just not 'feisty' enough for me.

spring1bee Mon 04-Jan-16 19:56:43

all really lovely- I actually don't think I can pick a favourite! (although if it was a gun-to-the-head situation I'd go for Imogen just because every Imogen I've ever met have been lovely)

GracieGraives Mon 04-Jan-16 20:01:31

I agree that imogens I have met have been a bit catty. Lol. Love elodie

iscreamicecream Mon 04-Jan-16 20:05:14

All lovely but Elodie tops it for me with Matilda a close second, followed by Imogen with the nn Immie x

ashesandfire Mon 04-Jan-16 20:08:43

I love Elodie!
My name is Imogen and I love it too! I'm also not catty lol.

NadiaWadia Mon 04-Jan-16 20:24:42

Imogen is lovely and classic.
Elodie is very pretty, but just possibly a bit 'now' IFKWIM, so it might seem dated in the future.

Matilda is fine, but TBH I don't really get all the love for it at the moment.

SummerMonths Mon 04-Jan-16 20:40:25

I like them all but Inlike Matilda the best. I like the versatility of Matilda as she could be Matilda or Matty or or Tilly or Tilda or Milly or Maude.

I would shorten Imogen to Imo rather than Imi.

Elodie is nice but less classic and may date. I feel like Elodie and Eloise are both names of the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now