Daisy or Florence

(55 Posts)
Newmummy15 Wed 30-Dec-15 09:44:37

Please can you give your opinions on the names Daisy and Florence!
We have been torn between the two names and now she is here and Thought we made a decision, but after researching the name Daisy I have read some opinions which have been quite upsetting and made me re think the decision.
People have said it doesn't age well,
To cutesy, flower names have been done etc sad
Much appreciate any honest feedback

jellyjiggles Wed 30-Dec-15 09:56:07

I think they are both very beautiful names. Florence you have more options to change as she she gets older. Daisy is pretty much daisy for life. Give her both! She can decide then when she's old enough.

Newmummy15 Wed 30-Dec-15 10:07:54

Thank you for your positive feedback! We thought use both just unsure if I have made the right decision which way round. We have been calling her the name for the last 10days so I don't know if it would feel strange changing it round, we also have a few gifts with her name on (but I wouldn't want to make my decision based on a couple of replaceable things) she hasn't been registered yet we have another 5 days

SkodaLabia Wed 30-Dec-15 10:09:48

Daisy is definitely more cutesy than Florence, so I'd go with Florence.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 30-Dec-15 10:12:07

I like them both.

MN is full of people that don't like names ending in y or ie. I have no idea why. It doesn't reflect my RL where all the friends of my teens are full of those names. You can for to Oxford be a high court judge called Daisy you know.

I'd go for Daisy if you prefer it. It's so important you call her the name you like best, or you'll have name regret and wish you had.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Wed 30-Dec-15 10:13:31

Florence, because I love Florrie.

Daisy is actually a nickname for Margaret, so if you went with that and used Daisy as a nn, DD would have lots of options when she's older.

Newmummy15 Wed 30-Dec-15 10:16:24

I would definitely not use Margaret as it's not something I personally associate Daisy with! Florrie is very cute tho, I do like that and flo for short, my husband prefers flossy for short as he thinks flo reminds him of women's monthly 🙈

glitterinmyeyes Wed 30-Dec-15 10:23:45

Both lovely names but, IMO, massively popular now which would be enough to stop me choosing them.

If I had to choose one it would be Florence, Daisy is a bit more wishy-washy to me.

DontKillMyVibe Wed 30-Dec-15 10:25:15

I don't like Flo as a nn but really like Florrie!

I do like the name Daisy but it has become incredibly popular. Depends if that would bother you though?

MrsLeighHalfpenny Wed 30-Dec-15 10:41:23

"Aunt Flo coming to stay" is a euphemism for "I'm on my period", so your DH is right!!

Daisy is nn for Margaret because a marguerite is a daisy.

marmiteontoast76 Wed 30-Dec-15 10:55:54

Call her Daisy Florence. Have you seen the new Star Wars? Nothing wishy-washy about that Daisy R.

GoldPlatedBacon Wed 30-Dec-15 11:02:39

I prefer Daisy over Florence but I don't like Flo/Flossie.

Oysterbabe Wed 30-Dec-15 11:06:23

I don't really like Daisy, it's way too cutesy. I can't imagine a CEO called Daisy.
I love Florence though.

Newmummy15 Wed 30-Dec-15 11:15:59

Thanks! I'm not actually a star wars fan but I have seen the new girl
You are talking about in the magazines and she is lovely! It's people like her and Daisy Lowe that make me think this is a good choice :-)

Hobbes8 Wed 30-Dec-15 11:46:23

People often say that Daisy is a cute little girl name, but it's quite popular, so surely in 30 years it will be a cool 30-something name, and there will be doctors and CEOs called Daisy and no one will bat an eyelid.

I love it - it was on our shortlist when I was pregnant with my son.

BisherBasherBosher Wed 30-Dec-15 11:52:19

I like Daisy, it was on our list but we did go with another name in the end. Honestly, just go with the name you love. Who cares what anyone else thinks, their opinions don't matter.

Daisy is actually a nickname for Margaret - really? fconfused

CoperCabana Wed 30-Dec-15 11:55:30

Agree with Hobbes. These so called cutesy names will be commonplace for women in their 30s in 20-30 years time so it is a moot point. And anyway, to suggest a name would hold back someone from achieving what they want is ridiculous. I hate this assertion that feminine names mean women won't be successful. Very sexist. They are both lovely, traditional names and my only comment would be, as others have said, they are popular at the moment so you may find that your daughter is one of two or three in her class, so depends on whether that bothers you.

Sophronia Wed 30-Dec-15 13:00:55

Florence Daisy would be lovely.

Newmummy15 Wed 30-Dec-15 13:14:46

It's so difficult as all the lovely names are now so popular, I guess for a reason smile they are both in the top 100 lists but I feel that they are a lot less popular than say Amelia's/Sophia's etc

IsadoraQuagmire Wed 30-Dec-15 13:44:26

I don't think Daisy is necessarily any "cuter" than any other flower name (Iris, Rose, Violet etc)
Anyway, Florence and Daisy are both lovely names (I think If I had to pick one of them as my name, I'd prefer to be called Florence though)

NadiaWadia Thu 31-Dec-15 04:50:11

Daisy is a pretty name, possibly a bit 'young' but less so than, say, Poppy.

Florence is OK, but massively overrated, IMO, plus there are loads of them.

xmasseason Thu 31-Dec-15 12:26:56

I like both.

Pandora97 Thu 31-Dec-15 18:08:30

I'm in the minority but I much prefer Daisy. It's a happy, bright sounding name to me. It does sound youthful but I don't think that's a bad thing. I think Flo and Florrie are awful and I don't like the name Florence anyway. I'd much rather be Daisy but I have what some would call a cutesy flower name so I'm biased and I don't think it's done me any harm.

SleepyRoo Thu 31-Dec-15 18:22:51

Both are nice, and in my area, pretty popular.

alltouchedout Thu 31-Dec-15 18:27:29

I really like Daisy, but not Florence.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now