Eliza

(29 Posts)
Shadow1986 Sun 27-Dec-15 22:18:20

Opinions on Eliza please? I like E girls names that sound pretty. But something that's not too common, I already have an Eva.

Sammy1888 Sun 27-Dec-15 22:18:47

Love it! Was on shortlist for DD

confusedandemployed Sun 27-Dec-15 22:20:23

Also love it, was also on my shortlist.

TheLittleLion Sun 27-Dec-15 22:45:29

Absolutely love it!

Outaboutnowt Sun 27-Dec-15 22:51:05

Really lovely name. Classic but not overly used.

LaurieFairyCake Sun 27-Dec-15 22:58:49

Lovely, lovely name. My favourite.

Shadow1986 Sun 27-Dec-15 23:00:53

Great response so far thank you. Will show this to husband who is not yet convinced.

Don't know yet if it's a boy or a girl but I have no idea on boys names!

foxessocks Sun 27-Dec-15 23:02:04

It's my favourite girls name but I might be biased grin

calzone Sun 27-Dec-15 23:02:50

Love it.

Also love

Esme
Emilienne
Eva
Evangeline

ChipsandGuac Sun 27-Dec-15 23:03:10

I wish I'd used it!

clarinsgirl Sun 27-Dec-15 23:21:09

If I'd had a girl she'd have been Eliza.

Nowthereistwo Sun 27-Dec-15 23:24:09

My 3 month old dd is Eliza. We obviously love it but everyone else seems to really like it when we've introduced her.

InkleWinkle Sun 27-Dec-15 23:27:41

Really love it. Would have liked it for DD2 but remembered DD1's middle name is Elizabeth 😀

xmasseason Mon 28-Dec-15 00:06:53

Sorry, but I think it sounds a bit harsh and nicknamey (even though it's a name in its own right).

Dungandbother Mon 28-Dec-15 09:27:05

Another biased MNetter herewink

On a positive it's very feminine
It's easy to pronounce
It is NEVER spelt incorrectly (which bugs the hell out of me with DS simple name at school) and becomes ever more important in this email age

It's not common but it's very recognisable

When I used it, it was well outside the top 100. It entered top 100 about three years ago but I'm not sure where it is now

It's not shortened at school, she is always Eliza, the E is always said, just an observation of how her peers use of it

Her brother does call her Liiiiza but that's how he said it when tiny. And only when he's cross with her.

She always dots the i with a little heart making me jealous of the lack of an i in my name.
And she loves playing around with the z - making it all swirly.

foxessocks Mon 28-Dec-15 10:41:37

dung my eliza always seems to get her named mispelled at the local soft play! They spell it Aliza or Elisa...drives me mad!

tsonlyme Mon 28-Dec-15 10:45:59

My (18yr old) Eliza dropped the E a few years ago so is now known as Liza which really bothered me at first but I don't mind much now. Has the name become much more popular in recent years?

christinarossetti Mon 28-Dec-15 10:49:05

It's a lovely name. Think it has become more popular as an alternative to all the Ellie, Lola, Ava, Lily type names.

PurplePaws12 Mon 28-Dec-15 11:05:38

How do you pronounce the name? I really like the look of it. Is it Eli - as in the start of Elijah? (E-li) or is it said like Ellie?

Eleza or Elyza?

AuntieStella Mon 28-Dec-15 11:07:28

Traditionally, it's said Ell-eye-za.

And I think it's a lovely name.

Whoknewitcouldbeso Mon 28-Dec-15 11:12:29

Love it, plus I don't think it will get shortened to Liz.

Oysterbabe Mon 28-Dec-15 11:57:50

I really like it. Pretty without being too over the top girly.

tilder Mon 28-Dec-15 12:05:52

Gorgeous name. I would expect it to be shortened though if that bothers you (or the possible versions bother you). Three syllable names ime do get shortened.

Dungandbother Mon 28-Dec-15 15:07:19

Foxes how strange. I'm in London and it's not mis spelt. Mind she's still young. Plenty of years yet. I have been asked if it's with an Z tho once or twice.

I pronounce Air lie sza (say it fast!)

Not Eee lie sza

I think I would be sad if mine dropped her E
The only person who calls her Liiiiiza is her bro and it's a very particular pronunciation I love from when he was a baby.

I sometimes call her Izzy

Eleanor was near the top of my list but I disliked Ellie too much.

I think the fact Eliza only has five letters prevents it being shortened

Shadow1986 Mon 28-Dec-15 17:30:38

I'm hoping it would just stay as Eliza as I'm not keen on Ellie, Liza or Liz. I've already had some people trying to put me off saying 'it will just get shortened to Liza' but I don't see why it necessarily would, especially if us as parents don't do it! Thanks for your input everyone, still my no1 so glad majority like it and agree that it's pretty but not too common!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now