William and Henry

(23 Posts)
Justnapping Mon 21-Dec-15 13:18:37

I have a William and I am pregnant with second baby. I love the name Henry! My only concern is would people associate this with the two Princes (William and Harry), as Harry's real name is Henry? I don't know how well known it is that his real name is actually Henry? Also I'm not naming my kids after the Royal Family, just happen to really like both of these names!! smile

timelytess Mon 21-Dec-15 13:22:48

Superb names. Does it matter if people think of princes? Its not like you've chosen Reggie and Ronnie.

Writtenbyme Mon 21-Dec-15 13:25:58

I have a friend with a William and Henry. When she announced the name of her second child I said "lovely, like the princes". She was very quiet and I didn't know if that was because everyone had said the same thing or she hadn't made the connection yet. Or possibly she just thought I was rude for saying anything.

Years on I have no idea because I haven't discussed it with her since and obviously I now associate the names with her boys and not the royals.

winterswan Mon 21-Dec-15 13:26:51

No, I think they are both really nice names and I prefer Henry to Harry but can't use either due to surname. I also like Hugo. smile

WiIdfire Mon 21-Dec-15 13:27:18

I have a friend with a William and Harry, and they (and most of their friends) didnt even notice. Go for it.

MitzyLeFrouf Mon 21-Dec-15 13:51:31

I'd assume you were a massive royalist and that your sitting room maybe looked a bit like this.

Mince314 Mon 21-Dec-15 13:53:37

Omg, don't. Don't do it.

I'm not anti-monarchy but it sounds ludicrously unimaginative first and foremost. And yes, too royalist. There's a limit. You would cross a scary line with a William and a Henry. Pick Richard. Or Edward. Or Andrew. Or Charles. Or Philip.

Mince314 Mon 21-Dec-15 13:54:56

What about William and Patrick?

That really shakes it up a bit. Far less like you've allowed your brain to slip in cruise. But a classic middle class name still.

Justnapping Mon 21-Dec-15 14:07:51

Haha Mitzy, how did you find a pic of me?? smile Thanks for the responses

Cornelialovett Mon 21-Dec-15 14:11:39

Henry becoming v v v v popular if that matters. Out of the last 6 baby boys I know of 5 are Henry! And scattered round the country. I think it will be top 5 in next couple of years.

mouldycheesefan Mon 21-Dec-15 14:12:25

Yes I would say 'like the princes' I wouldn't realise that comment could be taken negatively. I think most people know Harry is really Henry. I do like both names and one or other is bound to end up,shortened so I wouldn't let put me off if I was you I would just expect a Lot of princes comments

howtorebuild Mon 21-Dec-15 14:15:50

I knew Harry is Henry on his birth certificate and thought of the Prince's. Nice names op, do as you please.

AuntieStella Mon 21-Dec-15 14:17:41

I would think of the Princes too.

But they are names which 'go' IYSWIM, being solid, traditional and of course royal.

onelittleclara Mon 21-Dec-15 14:26:43

I had this quandary too. Ended up with a William and a Joshua.

lifeinslowmotion Mon 21-Dec-15 14:28:54

Yes it was the first thing I thought of but so what? It's hardly a terrible association to make. Go for it if that's what you want.

xmasseason Mon 21-Dec-15 21:20:24

Yes I would think of the princes.

Reality Mon 21-Dec-15 21:22:19

Ha, I've got a William and Harry. The youngest was about six weeks old when my friend mentioned the princes and it honestly hadn't occurred to me until then.

AwfulBeryl Mon 21-Dec-15 21:23:57

I would think of the Princes but wouldn't think you named your ds after them.
They're names that go nicely together if you like Henry use it

quitecrunchy Mon 21-Dec-15 21:50:22

I'd say if you like it go for it! William and Harry I'd think twice about but doubt I'd clock the royal connection for a William and Henry, just nice traditional names

MrsBenWyatt Wed 23-Dec-15 11:10:35

These are DS's first and middle names. We didn't even think about it until after he was registered (although we knew that Prince Harry was really a Henry). They are lovely names and I vote go for them.

As a PP said, however, Henry is very popular now. I know of five born very recently.

Wishfulmakeupping Wed 23-Dec-15 11:18:26

I have a Henry its a bloody superb name smile if you're in my neck of the woods (midlands) its bit popular at all only mine and know only older ones.
Anyway William and Henry are lovely together- yes it might cross my mind about the Princes but as said upthread not a bad comparison to spring to mind is it smile

MNetter15 Wed 23-Dec-15 11:23:42

2 great names and lovely together.

You'll probably find that people will comment and point it out to you but people will always have something to say about your name choices.

2snugglets Wed 23-Dec-15 11:30:51

I also have noticed Henry becoming crazy popular and every other person is calling their newborn it round here - E Midlands

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now