Odd spelling?

(13 Posts)
Sharkey5 Sat 10-Oct-15 08:30:31

Is Fredrick an odd spelling? Not a fan of Frederick (I think due to the extra syllable). Just wary of going with something that would require always having to spell it out!

TheHouseOnTheLane Sat 10-Oct-15 08:33:37

Tbh whether you choose Fredrick or Frederick, there will be occasions when people want it spelled out. I am quite decently read but would probably ask how it's meant to be written if you said "His name is x" to me.

MajesticSeaFlapFlap Sat 10-Oct-15 08:33:46

It will just look like you can't spell your own kids name.

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Sat 10-Oct-15 08:36:07

Fredrick just looks wrong, sorry.

How about Alfred?

minime8 Sat 10-Oct-15 08:36:54

Sorry but to me it reminds me of 'Magrat' in the Terry Pratchett books. It looks misspelt.

Sharkey5 Sat 10-Oct-15 08:40:24

Thanks all, that's kind of what I thought. The other option is Fredrik, but is that pretentious when I have no connection to Sweden?

EmpressKnowsWhereHerTowelIs Sat 10-Oct-15 08:45:00

Could you just go for Fred?

00100001 Sat 10-Oct-15 08:47:17

If you spell it Fredrick.

1)people will think you've spelled it wrong, and have a secret smirk
2) people will think your child has spelled his name wrong, and will try and correct him
3) you will forever be getting cards, pictures, letters with the "correct" spelling
4) you will forever be spelling his name out until he is older, in which case he will forever be spelling it for the rest if his life.

If you're happy with that, then go for it.

Or just spell it properly.

Floggingmolly Sat 10-Oct-15 08:50:56

How can you "not be a fan of" the established spelling of a name? confused. That sounds utterly ridiculous, if you don't mind me saying so you probably will

SometimesItRains Sat 10-Oct-15 08:58:56

Don't, it just looks like you can't spell. He will have to correct it all the time as an adult as people will assume it is spelled the proper way.

nagynolonger Sat 10-Oct-15 09:02:50

I think you can spell it both ways. I've found both spellings in the family tree. There are lots of Freds!

It's no different to Stephen/Steven. You just have to accept people will spell it the other way and correct them.

Sophronia Sat 10-Oct-15 10:51:35

For me Frederick doesn't have an extra syllable, I pronounce it the same as Fredrick.

manicinsomniac Sat 10-Oct-15 11:49:34

I've never seen Fredrick. You don't really pronounce the e in Frederick anyway. I mean you sort of do but it's certainly not Fred-uh-rick, it's more like Fred'rick (I can't really write what I mean!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now