Elysabeth

(10 Posts)
EmmaWoodlouse Mon 17-Aug-15 09:35:03

I probably won't be having any more children so this a purely hypothetical question.

I've been reading a book about the Princes in the Tower, and some documents from the period spelt Elizabeth Woodville's name as Elysabeth. Given that spellings weren't standardised at that time, I guess which one became the "usual" spelling could have gone either way.

Does anyone else think Elysabeth actually looks quite pretty? Could it be due a revival? Or if someone used it would it just be assumed to be a trendy creative spelling?

ThomasRichard Mon 17-Aug-15 09:38:48

I see your point but these days it looks like a yoo-neek misspelling.

Mimigolightly Mon 17-Aug-15 09:43:17

Don't give a child a different spelling of a regular name. As someone who has a regular name that is spelt differently, it infuriates me that I have to spell it out for people, see it misspelled on communications, etc.

shirleybasseyslovechild Mon 17-Aug-15 09:51:55

unnecessary and pretentious

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Mon 17-Aug-15 10:58:06

Oh I like it.

ninniepie Mon 17-Aug-15 11:01:09

Elisabeth is fine. Elysabeth looks odd imo.

OddBoots Mon 17-Aug-15 11:02:44

It looks pretty and it would have been nice if that had been the standard spelling but as it isn't but I don't think I could do that to my child, it would give them a lifetime of annoyance.

DirtyMugPolice Mon 17-Aug-15 11:26:29

I'd think it was pronounced Eliza-beth or that the parent was trying too hard to be unique!

Peacheykeen Mon 17-Aug-15 11:30:18

Dd is called Elizabeth funnily enough named after Elizabeth woodville . Sorry don't like Elysabeth at all

SmugairleRoin Mon 17-Aug-15 13:08:25

I think it looks pretty but would drive her mad constantly correcting the spelling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now