StevieJo Fri 14-Aug-15 10:50:05

What do you think of Anna-Sophia?

Anna-Sophia Belle
Anna-Sophia Eve
Anna Sophia Rose
Anna-Sophia Hope
Anna-Sophia Claire

NadiaWadia Fri 14-Aug-15 13:12:04

Anna and Sophia are both lovely names. Do you have to have a hyphen though? It kind of spoils it, and won't it make it more difficult for your daughter to learn to write her name?

SerenavanderWoodsen Fri 14-Aug-15 15:15:15

^^
What NadiaWadia said. Both lovely names on their own IMHO

badtime Fri 14-Aug-15 15:18:24

I usually dislike hyphenated names because they sound ill-considered (like the parents couldn't reach a decision), but Anna-Sophia is okay and fairly traditional. It puts me in mind of a minor European royal, probably with a sister called Maria-Christina.

I think Joy would be nice for a middle name.

badtime Fri 14-Aug-15 15:19:34

(I meant to say ....if a middle name is necessary. Avoid having too many names.)

wigglesrock Fri 14-Aug-15 16:05:33

I have daughters called each of them smile , although Sophia is spelt differently. I think it's a bit of a mouthful of you're using both of them as a first name - if also dilutes the niceness of each name imo. Although it reminds me of one of my dds favourite bedtime stories - Up the wooden hill.

Daphnedolittle Fri 14-Aug-15 21:01:51

I'm normally not a fan of double barrell names but this is really nice, sounds really elegant and classic.

StevieJo Fri 14-Aug-15 22:48:21

Thanks everyone, it's just an idea I've added to my list. My top name is still the classic Sophie. As for making it harder to learn to write her name. I didn't have any issues and I have a hyphenated name (Stevie-Jo)

mathanxiety Sat 15-Aug-15 04:58:58

Hyphens are used in other European cultures and in Anglo RC cultures.

Anna-Sophia is lovely imo. I am not sure any of your listed middle names really goes well with it however. I think you need one that ends in A.

Anna-Sophia Leonora
Anna-Sophia Rosina
Anna-Sophia Elfrieda
Anna-Sophia Rowena
Anna-Sophia Louisa
Anna-Sophia Theodora

Lilmissconcerned Sat 15-Aug-15 05:02:18

As long as your happy with the chance she'll end up propane boy just being called Anna

Lilmissconcerned Sat 15-Aug-15 05:06:54

That posted way too soon .. Only went to correct that wordage (iPads!)

As I was saying.. Chances are it will get shortened cause as lovely as that is it's a mouthful. And people like nicknames.. And in my opinion thinking on that way Sophia's the prettiest part of the name

In my job I have to answer my phone with 'good morning/afternoon, department x speaking' can you imagine saying a super long name all day... ? Or as a teacher addressing them with such a long name ? My names fairly short and is shortened down to the letter first sometimes.. So I'd always bear that in mind xxx

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sat 15-Aug-15 05:24:45

It's a 5 syllable name. Bit much really.

brokenhearted55a Sun 16-Aug-15 19:28:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

purplemunkey Sun 16-Aug-15 19:35:57

I think Anna-Sophia is rather lovely actually. I don't think it's too much of a mouthful and I don't think it would be a big deal to say her full name over the phone?!

People may want to shorten it but it'll be up to her whether she wants to be known as Anna-Sophia or not. Plenty of people are Victoria, David, Richard etc rather than Vicky, Dave, Rich. I did have a primary school friend with a hyphenated first name who had dropped the second half by the time we got to secondary school.

I'd stick with a short single syllable middle name (if at all).

LibrariesGaveUsPower Sun 16-Aug-15 20:22:45

I think all the a's in Anna - Sophia are quite difficult.

Say it a few times and it kind of runs together an Anaz-ophia if you aren't careful.

If you are keen on hyphens (I'm not personally but it'd be a boring world if we were all the same) I'd think about Sophie or Sophia first. Sophia - Anne flows I think?

If you want Anna first I think a second name with stronger consonants. Like Anna - Louise.

If not hyphenated they aren't said together as often, so I think Anna Sophie or Anna Sophia is nice.smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now