Name Opinions/Suggestions Please?

(20 Posts)
NotAllThoseWhoWanderAreLost Thu 13-Aug-15 17:07:21

Just looking for some opinions/ideas for names please! It's our first baby and we don't know if it's a boy or a girl yet so have options for both. We like fairly strong, classic names, nothing wacky, hippy-trippy or cutesy, but not too try-hard either! We would use the shortened version where there is one. Surname is a shortish "Mc" name.

For boys our list is currently:
Alexander (Alex)
Daniel (Dan)
Nathaniel (Nate)
Elijah (Eli)
Reuben

And girls:
Elena
Catherine (Kate)
Evelyn (Eve - not Evie)
Esther

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Thu 13-Aug-15 19:43:59

Not keen on any of your boys names, but Dan is the nicest.
I like all your girls names. I would go with either Elena or Esther

pieceofpurplesky Thu 13-Aug-15 19:47:51

Names are quite popular ... Please tell me Elena is El-AY-Na not El-En-a

If so lovely but there is an Eleanor spelt Elena trend at the moment (just for the constant 'no it's ..." Comments)

pieceofpurplesky Thu 13-Aug-15 19:48:32

There is nothing wrong with popular by the way!

BikeRunSki Thu 13-Aug-15 19:51:50

I love Nathaniel.
Alistair?
Edward?
Dominic?
Patrick?

Elena is a legitimate (principally European) way of spelling Eleanor.

LunaSonny Thu 13-Aug-15 20:04:37

Like Elijah and Reuben.
None of your girls names out to me.
Amelia? Rose? Bethany?

applecatchers36 Thu 13-Aug-15 20:14:16

Like Alexander and Reuben
Esther and prefer Eleanor than Elena

pieceofpurplesky Thu 13-Aug-15 21:02:59

Bike I know but with the mc surname people will assume El-ey-na and it will always have to be corrected - is what I was saying.

NotAllThoseWhoWanderAreLost Thu 13-Aug-15 21:49:32

Thanks all; Elena would definitely be El-ay-na, there is an (adult) Eleanor in close family hence I like the connection with it being similar but not actually using the same name. I hadn't thought about the other pronunciation tbh, or that people might say it differently because of a 'Mc' surname - is that the case? Hmm!

BikeRunSki thanks, I actually really like Edward but the Twilight connotation had put me off slightly - didn't want people to think we'd named our child after a sparkly vampire grin but that might have had its day by now?!

SerenavanderWoodsen Thu 13-Aug-15 22:00:44

I really like the top 3 boys names listed. Nate is my favourite. But I'm not especially keen on any of your girls names. I quite like Eve but have never liked Evelyn for some reason (and Evie/Eva/Evelyn etc are so overused at the moment). So of your list I would probably choose Elena. I think it's a pretty name and I would pronounce it the way you intended (regardless of your surname). HTH smile

NotAllThoseWhoWanderAreLost Thu 13-Aug-15 22:08:46

Thanks Seren - I think you're right about Eve, shame as I've always liked it but all the various versions of Evie/Eva/Ava etc. do seem to be everywhere at the moment. Plus I wouldn't want her (if a she!) being nicknamed Evie as I really don't like girly 'ie'-sound-ending names. Elena and Esther are probably our girl frontrunners, the boy options are trickier, I like too many of them!

Vernonon Fri 14-Aug-15 06:54:14

Love Alex and Dan, Elena, Kate and Esther. Like Reuben and Nate (wd definitely have full name on the bc).

I find Elijah a bit annoying. And all Eve/Evie names are way too popular.

ashesandfire Fri 14-Aug-15 13:17:15

My favourites are
Nathaniel and Alexander
Esther and Elena - love the el-ay-na pn

SmugairleRoin Fri 14-Aug-15 14:23:58

I like Michael, but Michael Mc is probably a bit much! Suggestions: James, Luke, John, Edgar, Leonard, David, Rory?

From your boys list I like Elijah, Daniel and Nathaniel. I do not get the love for Reuben on here at all!

I think Evelyn would be nicknamed Evie by many people, and she may even choose it herself! So if you don't like Evie at all I would avoid.

Catherine and Esther, meh. Elena is beautiful.

How about Juliet, Jane, Rachel or Sara? Simple but pretty.

NotAllThoseWhoWanderAreLost Fri 14-Aug-15 14:53:05

Love the name James but not so keen on like Jim/Jimmy potential nns. Michael is nice but doesn't sound great with the surname.

Having read a lot of threads on here for inspiration I also like of Seth or Christopher for a boy??

Evelyn/Eve is definitely out. Girl would most likely be Elena, with Esther as back up in case she didn't look like an Elena! Juliet and Sara/h are both really nice too - my cousin's 2 year old is Sarah and that's probably the only reason we didn't list it as I think it's a lovely, classic name.

clarabellski Fri 14-Aug-15 14:59:46

Reuben makes me think of the sandwich, sorry...

Christopher would go really well with a 'mc' surname IMHO

CakeRattleandRoll Sat 15-Aug-15 16:35:52

Nathaniel/Nate definitely my favourite of your boy's names. Like Christopher too. How about Alasdair or Andrew?

I like all of your girl's names. Would prob go for Esther myself. How about Elspeth?

Benchmark Sun 16-Aug-15 00:24:57

Nathaniel is my favourite boys name from your list. I'm not a big fan of your girls list.
I like Helena rather than Elena.
Would you consider Alexandra for a girl?

NotAllThoseWhoWanderAreLost Sun 16-Aug-15 19:29:05

Hmm, not mad on Elspeth I have to admit; I like traditional names but I'm not into the really old fashioned name craze so much. Alasdair is nice for a boy though. We had considered Alexandra for a girl too, I quite like boyish names for girls sometimes and we would shorten it to Alex - I know a female Alex and it really suits her. The only issue would be I'd have to shoot anyone who tried to nn her Lexi as I really really hate that name!

Thanks again for all the suggestions, it'll help once we know what it is too!

littlejohnnydory Mon 17-Aug-15 20:23:36

El-en-a (like Ellen-a) is the correct Welsh pn of Elena rather than a trend or a mis-spelling of Eleanor (Welsh spelling Elinor, pn in Wales with the "or" more accentuated rather than an -uh sound) purplesky. I still prefer E-lay-na pn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now