Maison (Mason) and other names with spellings you may not expect?

(135 Posts)
didwedotherightthing Wed 05-Aug-15 14:10:29

Just got a party invite from one of DS' fellow mindees. I also knew his name is Mason but it turns out that they spell it Maison. I thought it may be a typo but I checked with the CM and she said that's how it's spelled. Probably is especially odd for me as I'm part French, so to be, it reads as 'house' in French. I know the nameMason probably has construction origins too but I do wonder if people unknowingly mis-spell names or whether they are just trying to be 'different'. Either way, he's going to spenf a lifetime correcting the spelling of that one.
Anyone else got other examples of strangely spelled names?
I also know a Camron.....

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Wed 05-Aug-15 14:15:11

Are you in the south east? I know a Maison. It annoys me intensely. I also know a Karman (Carmen) which to my mind should be pronounced Car-man not Carmen.

didwedotherightthing Wed 05-Aug-15 14:17:25

No, not in the south east, (but used to be!)
Karman??! Why would you do that?

feebbzzz Wed 05-Aug-15 14:19:11

I know someone who has named her DD Eva but spelled Evagh.... Poor girl will spend her life correcting people

SometimesItRains Wed 05-Aug-15 14:19:28

My friend has taught both a Sharn and a Sian (pronounced see-ann).

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Wed 05-Aug-15 14:19:29

'To be a bit different '

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Wed 05-Aug-15 14:20:58

I know two adult women one Ailee (pn hailey) and one nansii- I'm guessing their parents didn't pick those spellings!

CognitiveIllusion Wed 05-Aug-15 14:22:15

I know a little boy named Jorge pronounced George. Nope, his parents aren't Spanish!

didwedotherightthing Wed 05-Aug-15 14:22:50

Sian is Welsh and that is the correct spelling. It should be pronounced 'Shaan'. I've hear it mispronounced as 'Sigh-an' and 'Shaun' before, but never 'See-an'!

SometimesItRains Wed 05-Aug-15 14:25:14

I know it is the correct spelling, but not if you want to call your daughter see-Ann. The parents clearly like the look of the name but didn't know how it was pronounced.

didwedotherightthing Wed 05-Aug-15 14:26:56

Very true Sometimes! But See-ann - I don't get it?

shumway Wed 05-Aug-15 14:27:20

I know a Jayk.

BikeRunSki Wed 05-Aug-15 14:27:42

I went to school with a Jazelle and a Kamaran and have come across an Emmaleigh. I also know an Aimiiee (I know Aimee is a legitimate spelling). Her mother told me they'd chosen that spelling to give her a bit of class, fully aware that I have an Amy!

SanityClause Wed 05-Aug-15 15:12:44

Her mother told me they'd chosen that spelling to give her a bit of class

A bit of class, eh? hmm

BikeRunSki Wed 05-Aug-15 15:20:13

I know Sanity. I meant to add a confused

SirChenjin Wed 05-Aug-15 15:20:19

I used to work with someone called Siobhan - fair enough, but we weren't to call her Shuh-vaughn (ie the way it's pronounced), we were to call her SHOW-bin. I never really got that confused

turdfairynomore Wed 05-Aug-15 15:26:57

Roseagh and ameliagh-Rosa and Amelia in the real world!

Coffeemarkone Wed 05-Aug-15 15:31:01

Once I wrote down a phone message down for my house/work mate, involving a pony called 'Cindy'.
When she read it she got very cross with me and informed me that it was not 'common' , like me, thank you, and actually it was 'Cyndi'.grin

I imagine she would have chosen an original kind of spelling for her child's name...

Coffeemarkone Wed 05-Aug-15 15:32:10

oh and I knew a woman called Keren who would insist that it was pron. 'Ciaran' (a boys name as I am sure you all know).

noblegiraffe Wed 05-Aug-15 15:35:19

I once knew a Charleigh.

Binit Wed 05-Aug-15 15:42:58

Well I'm not French but I'd still see Maison as the French for house and wonder if it was pronounced as such!

MamaLazarou Wed 05-Aug-15 15:44:43

Taaylaa. I shit you not.

Coffeemarkone Wed 05-Aug-15 15:57:34

well I am not French but not sure if I could resist calling him 'House' or 'Maison' with an affected French accent....

Sophronia Wed 05-Aug-15 18:51:56

I know a Xzanthy (supposed to be Xanthe but parents wanted to get x, y and z all in one name), and a Cortneigh.

Wishful80sMontage Wed 05-Aug-15 18:55:06

I don't know any but when I was expecting dd and said I liked the name Georgia 2 people asked if I was spelling it with a J like Jorja- that was a quick no

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now