Hilda? And a short shortlist

(75 Posts)
nuthatchlikesthemtoo Wed 22-Jul-15 19:54:42

I really like Hilda and have liked it for a long time, it has a positive associations for me. I just wondered what general opinions were at the moment (I won't be offended. obviously).

Other names on the list, of those slightly more unusual (so would welcome opinion), include

Augusta
Ursula
Guinevere

Boys names would be Ivan or Percy

Writerwannabe83 Wed 22-Jul-15 19:56:02

I like Ursula, definitely don't like Hilda.

bobajob Wed 22-Jul-15 19:56:18

I like Ursula and Ivan.

Chottie Wed 22-Jul-15 19:57:41

Hilda was the name of my elderly cousin, she was known as Miss Marple in the family. Hilda has happy memories for me smile

Sophronia Wed 22-Jul-15 20:00:22

I like Hilda, Augusta, Ursula and Percy.

HighOverTheFenceLeapsSunnyJim Wed 22-Jul-15 22:12:04

I really like Hilda. And Ursula. Probably a bit marmite though if that's okay with you.

sweetpeame Wed 22-Jul-15 22:12:58

It's absolutely awful IMO, sorry.

LolaCrapola Wed 22-Jul-15 22:17:08

Sorry...makes me think of Hilda Ogden from corrie and wasn't it maggie thatchers middle name?!

AmysTiara Wed 22-Jul-15 22:17:58

Hilda and Percy are really really not to my taste. I'd feel sorry for any child called that sorry.

Ivan is okay and Guinevere is quite pretty.

silverglitterpisser Wed 22-Jul-15 22:23:54

Really don't like it, sorry. Ursula n Augusta r nice.

Not mad about either boys name, both have train connotations which I am allllll too familiar with, having 2 2 y/o DSs! At a push, I would go Ivan over Percy.

ScrambledEggAndToast Wed 22-Jul-15 22:29:56

Hilda??

Are you kidding OP!! I hope this is a joke post gringrin This is a little granny name, I'm sure you can think of something a lot nicer.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Wed 22-Jul-15 22:39:58

Hilda. Oh come on Op. Yes your baby and if it holds positivity for you but can you honestly imagine a little baby called Hilda. Your other names are not too bad

VixxFace Wed 22-Jul-15 22:42:55

You have terrible taste.

millymae Wed 22-Jul-15 22:43:54

I think Hilda is one of those names that could grow on people - it's not that far away from Mathilda after all. One of the mums in my ante natal class called her daughter a name that was of a similar type and initially there were a few raised eyebrows but now no one bats an eye lid, the little girl is lovely and really suits her name. She and friends certainly don't think it's old fashioned, odd or ugly sounding - it has no connotations for them at all, it's just what she's called. If it's your first choice OP go for it and don't worry what anyone else thinks.

I like Ursula best of all your names and Ivan for a boy, but if I ever had another daughter myself Hester is the name that keeps coming to mind.

VoldemortsNipple Wed 22-Jul-15 22:59:54

I like Hilda. It makes a change from all the old fashioned names that are again popular that all seem to end in th ee sound. Maisy, Maggie, Lily... And if names like Ethel can make a comeback so can Hilda.

usualsuspect333 Wed 22-Jul-15 23:03:24

I know a fairly young Hilda She's hated her name all her life.

Don't do it.

SonceyD0g Wed 22-Jul-15 23:07:31

I know a Norwegian Hilda she is very glamorous.
Spells it Hilde
I think it is a lovely name

nuthatchlikesthemtoo Wed 22-Jul-15 23:08:47

You have terrible taste.

I'd rather you just commented on the names, Vixxface. I'm sure we have very different taste.

I think the other names are probably safer than Hilda, though they might be more unusual? I'm unsure about Hilda especially which is why I singled it out when asking, so this has been useful, thank you.

Colyngbourne Wed 22-Jul-15 23:33:27

I think it deserves to have its day again with a new generation of children who won't prejudge it. For adults who find it more difficult then maybe spell it Hilde.
Percy is good too for the same reasons. Sir Percival was one of the key knights of the Round Table and didn't he search for the holy grail and meet the Fisher King?

littlejohnnydory Wed 22-Jul-15 23:36:11

I'm not keen on Hilda although I usually love Granny names including Doris and Ethel! I prefer it to the others you mention though and if you love it, go for it! It's growing on me as I write!

Hilda Rose
Hilda Eve
Hilda Jane

Lunastarfish Wed 22-Jul-15 23:36:46

I think you have to be brave or a right hipster to pull off Hilda. However, I adore Ursula

answersonapostcardplease Wed 22-Jul-15 23:37:47

The only one thats ok is Ivan. Hilda is vile. There are tons of fab granny chic names.

Esme
Elsie
Vera?
Rose
Iris
Dorothey
Valerie
Viviene

Stanley
Fred
Ned
Teddy
John
Rupert
Rubeun
Rufus

ButtonMoon88 Wed 22-Jul-15 23:38:57

Love Percy, Ivan and quite like Hilda, although prefer the names Edith, Iris and Jean.

vixx that's really unnecessary and pointlessly nasty

answersonapostcardplease Wed 22-Jul-15 23:40:11

Jean is fab as is Gene for a boy

BothEndsBurning Wed 22-Jul-15 23:41:20

What about Persis? There's a fleeting mention in the New Testament of a woman named Persis.
I rather like this name for a girl - came across it in a parish register while doing some local history research.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now