Irish name: Saorla?

(14 Posts)
Mums2015 Thu 16-Jul-15 15:32:57

What do people think of the irish name Saorla (pronounced say-r-la)?

Schoolaroundthecorner Thu 16-Jul-15 15:50:06

It's pronounced more like Seer-la where I am from OP (Irish). Not familiar with the pronunciation you suggest but I suppose it is how it would read phonetically if you are UK based.

Schoolaroundthecorner Thu 16-Jul-15 15:55:20

The only alternative pronunciation I can find is Sahr-la, like Sarah but with a la rather than ah ending.

wigglesrock Thu 16-Jul-15 15:59:26

My daughter went to nursery school with one pronounced the way schoolroundthecorner suggests - Seerla (we're in Belfast), I always thought it was a lovely name.

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Thu 16-Jul-15 16:08:26

Isn't Saor - seer like Saoirse (seer-sha) so it would be seer-la.

MitzyLeFrouf Thu 16-Jul-15 16:18:39

It's pronounced sare-la rather than seer-la. 'Saor' means free in Irish but I'm not sure what the meaning behind the name name Saorla is.

MitzyLeFrouf Thu 16-Jul-15 16:21:56

'Free princess' google tells me.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Thu 16-Jul-15 16:58:55

It's a nice name. I agree with you and Mitzy on the pronounciation [Irish too]. She'll spend her life [if in the UK] teaching people how to pronounce and spell it though.

Sah - Or - Lah is how most English people would pronounce it I think but then I work with a Niamh and people do the most murderous things to her name. grin The latest one I heard was Nee - yevh with a really hard yevh in the way someone might say yuk !

Schoolaroundthecorner Thu 16-Jul-15 20:27:39

It's not pronounced sare-la rather than seer-la, both are actually fine depending on the dialect used in the part of Ireland you are in.

Not say-r-la though, that's just how it would be said by someone who isn't familiar with Irish pronunciation.

loolah83 Wed 22-Jul-15 13:23:01

Another Irish bod here...it's deffo pronounced 'seer-la'

Floggingmolly Wed 22-Jul-15 13:28:22

It's Seer-la... Why oh why do people appropriate Irish names they've obviously never even heard pronounced in real life?
I'm still reeling from the poster a while back who thought Sile was such a lovely name except she imagined it was pronounced CEE-LAY

LainyC13 Wed 22-Jul-15 13:32:23

My husband is Irish & we decided on an Irish middle name instead of first name as his sister is a Siobhan & gets mighty annoyed with it being bastardised with "Cee-o-ban" etc

birchygoo Wed 22-Jul-15 19:50:18

it's seer-la but spelling my nice uses is saorlaith - means free princess

Saerlaith Mon 22-Feb-16 00:34:10

My name is Saerlaith and I pronounce it Sayr-la or sir-lasmile**

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now