If I said my children were called Elliot and Lydia, what springs to mind?

(19 Posts)
Marzipanspice Sun 12-Jul-15 10:24:17

Be as blatantly honest as you so wish, please.
What would you assume are family and tendencies are like?

These are the names I've deeply considered for bump.

Floggingmolly Sun 12-Jul-15 10:27:13

confused A name won't imbue your child with any personality or character traits they don't naturally have, you know...
It doesn't reflect on your "tendencies" either.

Yika Sun 12-Jul-15 10:28:03

Nothing in particular - they are nice names, quite middle of the road in a nice way.

iklboo Sun 12-Jul-15 10:31:13

That your children were called Elliott & Lydia.

Marzipanspice Sun 12-Jul-15 10:31:18

Floggingmolly, I only asked because someone else made this type of post almost identical to mine, and got quite interesting answers.

Obviously we all think something when we hear a name, it's just an assumption, not set in stone for goodness sakes.

BurningGubbins Sun 12-Jul-15 10:32:43

Posh, or posh wannabe. Competetive parent, possibly sahm. Children to be privately educated. Totally coloured by the area I live near to, where overbearing women like to shout those names across the playground...

VivaLeBeaver Sun 12-Jul-15 10:33:31

In reality I wouldn't think anything.

Now you've asked the question Id say maybe that your family were "bookish". Maybe it's because Lydia reminds me of Sense and Sensibility, or was it Pride and Prejudice. Elliot makes me think of ET though which isn't a book.

favouritewasteoftime Sun 12-Jul-15 10:34:00

That you have good taste in names! They're both very nice.

HighOverTheFenceLeapsSunnyJim Sun 12-Jul-15 10:38:29

Made me think of Austen.

I don't think anything much of Elliot, I know several who are from quite different families. Lydia is nice. Middle class.

Marzipanspice Sun 12-Jul-15 10:42:12

Haha, thank you. I always considered Lydia to be quite an 'Essexy' name, as it actually sounds nice if someone with a cockney accent says the name (although I don't posses one but OH does).

I also thought Elliot was more mutual, not really posh.

TinyManticore Sun 12-Jul-15 10:44:01

I would think your children had lovely names. Not over popular but not bizarre either.

florascotia Sun 12-Jul-15 10:47:39

All I'd think is that I quite like Lydia (she's in Pride and Prejudice, earlier poster!) and I don't like Elliot. Am not a fan of surnames as first names, except for family reasons.

Also - and this is a different type of issue - Elliott/Eliot/Eliott/Elliot/Elyot as a surname can be spelled five different ways. You/your DS might have to do a fair bit of spelling out...

SakuraSakura Sun 12-Jul-15 10:54:55

TOWIE! Sorry grin. Elliot is inoffensive. I quite like Lydia.

BothEndsBurning Sun 12-Jul-15 10:55:56

Nothing really. I personally don't like Elliot as a forename. It's a bit of a mouthful and there are too many potential spelling variations. I like Lydia but have no particular associations.

BeautifulBatman Sun 12-Jul-15 10:56:18

Yep, TOWIE.

reuset Sun 12-Jul-15 11:24:39

Neither of them posh, especially Elliot nowadays. I like Lydia.

RJnomore Sun 12-Jul-15 11:27:39

Townie here too sorry.
I do love Lydia as a name though.

momwhereismy Sun 12-Jul-15 11:37:19

Better than the poor child called Richmond in Primary yesterday. Did make me giggle.

momwhereismy Sun 12-Jul-15 11:37:45

Primark *

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now