Lucia, Diana, or Grace

(37 Posts)
alyxlndn Wed 24-Jun-15 22:54:51

We have finally narrowed down the list to our top three:
Lucia
Diana
Grace

The name should fit with the ds' Ezra and Sasha and the last name is one syllable and starts with an F.
We really only have one big concern: my family is Italian and would pronounce Lucia with a ch sound while we would to be able to call her Luci so it would be pronounced Loo-see-ah.

Middle name options (all family names) seem to fit with all of the options, although obviously some better than others (Mirielle, Aurelia, Elaine, Elsa, Anais)

Zakken Wed 24-Jun-15 23:05:59

Grace is lovely, but a little too popular for my taste now. (Also very popular name for dogs where I live!)

I wouldn't be sure how to pronounce Lucia - my immediate instinct would be to pronounce it the Italian way. How else would you say it? Loo-see-er? Or to rhyme with juicier? Can't you just have Lucy?

I see no problems with Diana, it's elegant and timeless.

None are incongruous with the boys' names, but this really shouldn't be a concern.

FuzzyWizard Wed 24-Jun-15 23:10:34

I would automatically pronounce it as Loo-chee-ah. I know a Lucia who's name gets shortened to Lucy even though in full it is pronounced the Italian way. I'd just be aware that you may spend your life correcting people. Diana is lovely.

pieceofpurplesky Wed 24-Jun-15 23:22:35

Diana Grace F is a beautiful name

Sophronia Wed 24-Jun-15 23:25:29

Diana Mirielle or Diana Aurelia

OwenMeanysArmadillo Wed 24-Jun-15 23:27:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MitzyLeFrouf Wed 24-Jun-15 23:52:08

Diana. Great and underused name.

TheNewStatesman Thu 25-Jun-15 00:13:57

I like Diana too.

NadiaWadia Thu 25-Jun-15 00:18:45

I like Lucia best. You won't be able to stop your family pronouncing it the Italian way, but I don 't see why you can't have Luci/Lucy short for 'loo-chee-a'.

Ward3 Thu 25-Jun-15 06:05:27

I have to break the trend and go for Grace. wink Popular, especially as a a middle name, but I don't think it's as common as maybe a few years ago. envy Grace Aurelia, Grace Elsa, Grace Elaine

Ward3 Thu 25-Jun-15 06:10:08

I also love Diana

Ham69 Thu 25-Jun-15 07:22:52

Lucia. I love this name.
I know an Italian family with DDs Cora and Anja just to throw another couple of names out there.

elianmod Thu 25-Jun-15 14:32:00

I love Diana best. It's a beautiful and underused name.
I do like the other two too.
Grace is simple but elegant and I actually don't know many small or baby Grace's.
I think however you pronounce Lucia you're going to be spending a lot of time correcting. I've heard a Loo-chee-ah, Loo-see-ah, and a Loo-sha. It's a pretty name but may be tiresome to correct.

BadHenry Thu 25-Jun-15 20:55:13

Diana.

silverglitterpisser Thu 25-Jun-15 21:01:58

Lucia.

Grace is lovely but very very popular now n Diana is nice but couldn't imagine a baby with the name n it is also irrationally too tied in to Lady Di I think.

scribblegirl Thu 25-Jun-15 21:03:40

I find Grace super meh if I'm honest - sorry to any out there! I like Lucia (though bizzarely makes me think of St Lucia the island) but my vote is absolutely for Diana. Gorgeous.

CrispyFern Thu 25-Jun-15 21:20:24

Lucia.

newtothenet Fri 26-Jun-15 05:16:22

Diana for me too. It makes me think of Diana Agron.

Rhubarbgarden Fri 26-Jun-15 07:09:00

I love Diana. Very interesting to see the positive reaction it's getting - the last time I saw a Diana thread on here the response was overwhelmingly that it was too closely associated with the princess and too soon for a revival.

Mygardenistoobig Fri 26-Jun-15 09:51:16

Lucia.

I would associate Diana with princess Diana and Grace is very popular/common where I am.

reuset Fri 26-Jun-15 09:55:27

Grace is nice if you don't mind popular, and my favourite here. Diana is too associated still, I think, with the royal connection. Not a name I like at all. Dinah would be a nice alternative.

Zakken Fri 26-Jun-15 10:30:09

Nobody under 20 remembers Princess Diana, and many will never have heard of her. People in this little girl's generation will have no such associations. People in her grandparents' generation might make a connection, but why would that matter?

ThreeLeggedHaggis Fri 26-Jun-15 12:30:43

Lucia (loo-see-ah) and Diana are two of my favourite names. I think I would go with Lucia.

Although I do know a Lucia and people are always calling her Luchia...

momb Fri 26-Jun-15 12:35:53

Not Grace. In theory I should love it but currently know 9 under 11s named Grace and not one of them has any....

Lucia (I read this as Lucheea but would go with whatever you as her parents say) or Diana both charming.

reuset Fri 26-Jun-15 13:02:29

Zakken. Of course people under 20 will know of Princess Diana, even if they don't personally remember any of the press surrounding her life and death (the reporting continued for many years afterwards), whilst growing up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now