Boy's name Audie

(25 Posts)
MissesandMuddles Sat 20-Jun-15 07:52:15

What are your thoughts?

We're really struggling to name ds3, due in 3 weeks. Ds1 and ds2 both have unusual names and we'd like an unusual name for ds3.

Sirzy Sat 20-Jun-15 07:53:24

To me first thing that comes to mind is the car.

I'm not keen personally but if you like it then use it.

CaptainAnkles Sat 20-Jun-15 07:55:44

Pronounced like Ow-dee or Aw-dee?

AuntieStella Sat 20-Jun-15 07:56:22

I didn't think if the car, but now it's been pointed out I can't help but see it.

I haven't come across this name before, and had taken it to be a short form of Auden (making a pronunciation of 'orr-dee')

msrisotto Sat 20-Jun-15 07:57:07

I thought car

MissesandMuddles Sat 20-Jun-15 08:02:07

It's pronounced 'Aw' rather than 'Ow' so only like the car in spelling and not pronunciation - but I hadn't noticed the likeness to the car and find that off-putting, especially as so many others have!

Audie \a(u)-die\ as a boy's name is of Old English origin, and the meaning of Audie is "noble strength". Audie is a variant of Audey (Old English): audie Murphy, an actor in the 1950s, was also the most decorated American soldier in World War II.

insancerre Sat 20-Jun-15 08:05:25

I would think of Audi

Ethelswith Sat 20-Jun-15 08:07:16

Audie might come from an old English vocabulary word, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't an old English name.

(Recalls other threads about sites that put etymology of vocabulary word, rather than date of coining as a name, as 'origin')

It appears to be a 20th century name, probably taken from a surname. That surname may have been based on an Anglo-Saxon vocabulary word.

creamoftomato Sat 20-Jun-15 08:07:47

I never post on these but posting here to say I think it's just gorgeous smile (and to outweigh all the car thinking people a bit)

lilacblossomtime Sat 20-Jun-15 08:11:46

Perhaps go with the spelling Audey if you want to avoid the car name. I quite like it, sounds a bit Scottish somehow.

Ethelswith Sat 20-Jun-15 08:12:05

If you want a name that definitely dates back to Old English, have a look at this thread:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/baby_names/1392956-DH-list-I-will-be-surprised-apparently

MumSnotBU Sat 20-Jun-15 08:13:15

Aubrey?

EmpressOfJurisfiction Sat 20-Jun-15 08:16:36

The only thing is that it sounds very like Audrey (and looks like a shortform of it). Your DS might face some confusion there.

girlandboy Sat 20-Jun-15 08:17:24

Wasn't there an American actor called Audie Murphy way back in the day? But also my DH used to have an Audi car and he used to pronounce it as "Or-dee" hmm so it does remind me of that a bit. Other than that....I do quite like it!

NoStannisNo Sat 20-Jun-15 08:20:35

Everyone will pronounce it Ow-dee and say 'as in the car?'

TheNewStatesman Sat 20-Jun-15 09:12:51

???? Sorry to be really blunt, but....
It doesn't sound like a proper name, nobody seems to know how to pronounce it, and if I saw it I would assume it was a girl's name.

HayFeverSucks Sat 20-Jun-15 09:30:30

How about Aubrey?

SoupDragon Sat 20-Jun-15 09:33:20

Your DS would indeed spend his life being called Audi.

If you like that kind of name sound, Aubrey is better.

BikeRunSki Sat 20-Jun-15 09:34:19

I know an Auden non Audie. Audie alone sounds like an abbreviation.

fatballerina Sat 20-Jun-15 09:36:13

Please don't name him after a car!

TropicalHorse Sat 20-Jun-15 09:37:16

It's the nickname we use for DD who's Audrey.

Kraggle Sat 20-Jun-15 09:41:45

Not keen on Audie as I immedately pronounced it like the car, but I really like Auden which I pronounce Orr-den (strange how we pronounce words differently that are similarly spelt!) Never heard either name before.

florascotia Sat 20-Jun-15 09:53:37

Agree with earlier poster that some baby name sites are full of misinformation when it comes to name origins.

Auden is a surname. WH Auden made the name famous and there is an awful lot written about his ancestry. The surname Auden possibly derives from Anglo-Saxon 'Ealdwine' (old friend) or from another Anglo-Saxon word implying Danish ancestry: www.britishbabynames.com/blog/2013/12/auden.html

Audie could be a short form of Auden, but, as another earlier poster said, it is already well-known as the short form of the Anglo-Saxon female name Audrey www.behindthename.com/name/audie In Anglo-Saxon, Audrey would be something like Aethelthryth and it does mean 'noble strength'. But it was always used for girls....

USA hero Audie Leon Murphy was of Irish ancestry. Just possibly his name was derived from an Irish word - I don't know.

RedToothBrush Sat 20-Jun-15 11:40:09

Audible was my first thought.

also will get mistaken for Andie, Audrie or Aubrie a lot.

BikeRunSki Sat 20-Jun-15 13:04:35

I meant "I know an Auden nn Audie", not "non Audie", that makes no sense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now