Second baby. Not a clue re name. Help!

(16 Posts)
Ficidy Sun 14-Jun-15 20:20:33

I'm only 16 weeks, but I really want to get a start on choosing a name for this little one. We are not going to find out the sex.

We already have a little boy called Milo.

For girls, I (haven't run all of them past my dh yet. Oops!) have...

Lois
Arwen
Ramona
Ines
Estelle

The middle name for our girl would definitely be Mary.

For boys, I'm stumped. Totally and utterly. We don't like names that are too popular, so we're looking for something different, but not 'out there'. Some of the names I like (but am not crazy about!) are:

Hal
Leni (I met a little boy with this name once and thought it was cute, but not sure if it's too makey-uppey?!)
Jed (cue Jedward jokes though)
Aled (very unsure if I even like it)

I used to dream of choosing my future children's names, but in reality, I think it's a real pain.

What do you like from above and do you have any other suggestions? Thanks.

Ficidy Sun 14-Jun-15 20:28:31

PS I really like the name Corinne for a girl, but we can't use it due to it clashing with surname :-(

TheGratefulRecipient Sun 14-Jun-15 20:38:44

Ramona is fab. I would have loved this, but in reality my children are slight, and blonde, and not really how I imagine a "Ramona" looking, so I didn't use it.

For boys...
Jago
Flynn
Jonah
Leni / Lenny as nickname for something?

longlistofexlovers Sun 14-Jun-15 20:40:55

Lois is my favourite. It is the most sophisticated.

Labradormummy Sun 14-Jun-15 20:41:25

I think Lois and Milo sound nice together.

Love the name Estelle especially is shortened to Stella. e have a little girl next door called Stella-Elsie and I think its lovely!!

Like the name Lenny, its unusual so maybe stick to the usual spelling. I have an uncommon name and also an unusual spelling of it and it causes lots of hassle.

TheGratefulRecipient Sun 14-Jun-15 20:47:24

Or Saul, for a boy?

PallasCat Sun 14-Jun-15 20:48:03

Ines Ramona and Arwen I really like.
Leni is great and I prefer your spelling to Lenny (I know a great little Lenny, BTW!) but I think your own spelling would be easier to get away with (IYSWIM - I really don't mean that to sound critical, I really like Leni!) if you had it as the nn for a more familiar name? Lenny is usually nn for Leonard, which I'm less keen on...
maybe...
Lennart
Leon
Leander (more out there but I love this one personally - it's on my completely hypothetical shortlist)

Ficidy Sun 14-Jun-15 20:50:12

Silly question because I know I have seen the name Jago on mn before, but how do you pronounce it?

I forgot about Remi for a boy, but my dh is not too keen, so I may have to forget about it permanently.

I like Saul - I'll say it to himself.

Labrador - you are right about Lenny! It's better.

TheGratefulRecipient Sun 14-Jun-15 20:51:12

Jago is Jay-go. It's Cornish, I think.

Ficidy Sun 14-Jun-15 20:52:16

Thanks Pallas - good point! I don't like Leonard either, so that's a no-go. I wonder if there are any other long versions of Leni/Lenny...

Ficidy Sun 14-Jun-15 20:53:50

Thanks The grateful recipient for clearing up the Jago issue. I wasn't sure if it was foreign and if the J was silent. I'll say it to dh.

Nospringflower Sun 14-Jun-15 20:58:21

I like Hal from your boys list.

TheGratefulRecipient Sun 14-Jun-15 20:59:15

Earlen, Emlen, Gillen, Glen, Rylen could all give Leni... (This is like naming my fantasy baby - DP would never have entertained these!)

Sophronia Sun 14-Jun-15 21:33:13

I like Ramona, Ines and Aled.

Fizzyplonk Sun 14-Jun-15 21:43:50

Otto
Ellis
Arlo
Evan
Jared
Holden
Jem
Caspar
Jasper
Felix
Lucas

Like Estelle and Ines
How about Stella too?

CakeRattleandRoll Mon 15-Jun-15 06:22:38

I like Arwen best from your girls names, but it is a bit too Lord of the Rings, unless you're a big fan. Prefer Anwen, Elowen or Arianwen. Love Mary btw.

Jago is the Cornish version of James - love it! Also like Jory (Cornish version of George). Felix is also great.

Lennox or Lennon could both give nn Leni.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now