Talk to me about Zoë

(16 Posts)
jennyjenny11 Sat 02-May-15 21:12:06

I feel it is the ideal name; it is cute for a baby and yet works for a Managing Director, it is girly without being frilly, feisty and strong without being boyish, it means 'bright' and it has a cool umlaut thing. But it is in the top 100 which is usually a deal breaker for me. Are there lots? Is it dull?

jennyjenny11 Sat 02-May-15 21:13:48

That was meant to be Zoe in the title, evidently my computer/Mumsnet can't deal with an umlaut!

squoosh Sat 02-May-15 21:23:18

Doesn't thrill me exactly but it's a perfectly nice name. Sounds quite 90's to me but nothing wrong with that.

names.darkgreener.com/#zoe

Orangeisthenewbanana Sat 02-May-15 21:27:34

I really like it, it's on our shortlist. You're right in that it suits any age or occupation and is a nice mix of girly and strong. Not sure we'd use the umlaut though. Just an extra hassle for spelling. I only know 2 Zoe's IRL, one is late 20's and one is 8.

It also means "life".

villainousbroodmare Sat 02-May-15 21:32:21

I like it a lot. I'm right this moment babysitting a friend's daughter Zoey, though, and I find the Y irritating. No idea why they had to tack that onto the end of a zesty, pretty name.

Penguinotterfoxbadger Sat 02-May-15 21:33:54

I like it's un-frillyness as you say. It's cute and kind of "direct". It's only 97th (and going pretty steadily down) so I don't think you need to worry about popularity.

sweetpeame Sat 02-May-15 21:36:22

I think it's a good name - not too popular but not "unusual". I know two - one mid-30's and one 3 years old. Agree it's a good name at all stages of life!!

Sleepingisgivingin Sat 02-May-15 21:47:05

I have one - aged 5. I love the name and it suits her perfectly. However, I have come across quite a few little ones in our area since having her, I'd only known adults named Zoe but then I guess if didn't pay much attention to it before I named her!

Sophronia Sat 02-May-15 22:25:05

I think it means "life" rather than "bright"

Guin1 Sun 03-May-15 10:31:32

Really like it for all the reasons in the OP. I wouldn't worry about it being popular - top 100 is fine and the darkgreener link given above will tell you the actual number of babies given that name, if you need reassurance.

TheFillyjonk Sun 03-May-15 11:29:37

I think it's a cool and strong name - always been around but never too popular.

Rosa Sun 03-May-15 11:32:44

Think its great

TempsPerdu Sun 03-May-15 19:01:25

I'm a Zoe and really like my name - love the meaning, as you say it's feminine but not fussy or frilly - something I appreciate as someone who's not a 'girly girl'! It's a name that seems to fit in anywhere. It also seems to have aged better than most of my friends' names (they're all called things like Karen, Claire, Lindsey, Gemma, Nicola etc - typical 1970s/80s names). Zoe isn't classic exactly, but unlike some names I don't think it's overly tied to one generation.

I do use the umlaut/diaeresis and the only issue I've had with it is I can never remember how to do it online!

Anjou Sun 03-May-15 22:46:41

I love the name Zoe for all the reasons that you've said.

I had 5 friends at school called Zoe (I'm 40, from Southern England) so thought it was quite a popular, 'normal' name. Haven't met a single one since.

Great name!

florascotia Mon 04-May-15 10:57:11

I like Zoe, it's strong and simple and, as previous poster says, it means 'life', not 'bright'. (It's related to other ancient Greek words about living things, such as 'zoology'.)

MishMooshAndMogwai Mon 04-May-15 12:00:20

Dammit op! Id FINALLY settled on a baby name and then you throw this at me and add another into the mix! <wails>

I love it though, for all the reasons said above

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now